DisplayCAL and I1 Display Pro report crazy contrast ratio

Home Forums General Discussion DisplayCAL and I1 Display Pro report crazy contrast ratio

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

mat a
    Participant

Hi

My monitor rated for 3000:1 is being reported as 5100+:1 in the DisplayCAL report.

I have tried several times to measure it. Same result. No automatic/ dynamic Brightness or Contrast adjustment on.

Also, my other monitor rated as 1000:1 is reported as 1250:1.

I find it hard to believe that I have 2 specimens with better than usual characteristics from the factory…

Any idea why this is the case. This makes me not trust DisplayCAL (which I know is a very good piece of software) but something si clearly wrong.

Thanks

Vincent
    Participant

It is not related at all to DisplayCAL. Using the ***same colorimeter correction*** measure contrast with i1Profiler or another demo of a comercial software.

Also there are some IPS like U2412M/U2415 that are reported to have ~1200:1 (nominal 1000:1), maybe even you pushed it a little by OSD configuration (perhaps causing soem channel clipping in return)

mat a
    Participant

Thanks for the reply.

I will check the results with a different software. I only have iprofiler but I do not know how to generate a report with it.

My monitors are both cheap BenQ, one TN panel (the 1000:1) and one VA (3000:1). I find it hard to believe that they are better than the factory specs. I realise that the specs are “typical” though.

I use the “user” mode which allows me to access the R G and B controls and disables any dynamic contrast.

PS: Are you assicoated with this webiste? It is just that I am surprosed (and graateful) at how helpful you are with people on here!

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

I’ve recently met MSI MAG272C with curled VA screen that gains 5300:1 contrast ration, having 3000:1 in specification. Don’t believe papers, believe your eyes. The same happens with color gamuts. You can check for black level at RGB-tuning stage of calibration/profiling process, – simply move measurement device to 0;0;0 RGB image, I use Paint to show it. MAG272C showed 0.022cdm or like this. But I don’t know dynamic range of X-Rite toys, they’re probably too noisy to measure deep black correctly. I also found that MAG272C gains extraordinary black at its max 165 Hz frequency, showing poor one at all others frequencies.

Vincent
    Participant

Do some High Hz gaming displays use black frame insertion? Maybe this is messing the measurement.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

Black frame insertion? I don’t know if this may have influence. White level was the same for different frequencies. I think, vertical scan frequency itself does not influence on black level, but display have specific internal settings for image output at different frequencies. I meet the same problem sometimes at consumer and sRGB-class displays, even switching 59 and 60 Hz.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

And, Vincent, profile test showed clean enough result, see attachments (tested by i1p2 and i1d3 + personal mtx correction). Sorry, I forgot that MSI had ~5500:1 ratio, not 5300:1.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Maybe I used  a wrong naming calling it “black frame insertion”, it’s kinda strobing. Actual commercial names are Ultra Low Motion Blur (ULMB) or ELMB.

Something like this (1st google example from TFTCntral) at high Hz mode.

or this from Asus

IDNK if this works, sounds like potential headache source… but IDNK and I didn’t read “user experiences”.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Vincent.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

After I boosted ViewSonic P775 CRT up to VGA@160Hz in Linux (normally I used 960×720@115Hz, this was 19 years ago), I see well 85Hz at all those TCO’95/99 eye-saving CRTs. LCD produce another flickering, but ELMB may be compared with cinema flickering, I haven’t seen this on MSI. Of course, I switch off gaming and adaptive display features before calibration, but I don’t remember if there were ELMB/ULMB. We need more information and experience on these new high contrast panels.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS