DisplayCAL and F.lux

Home Forums Help and Support DisplayCAL and F.lux

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Equizz
    Participant

Hi there,

I suffer from intense fatigue and headaches due to blue light. F.lux helped fix this problem and my headaches have never returned.

I’d like to use DisplayCAL but there is a problem. When installing the software it informs me that the profile launcher cannot be loaded due to it detecting F.lux. Can I turn off F.lux, calibrate my monitor, and turn on F.lux when not doing colour sensitive work? Or will the colour profile be buggy if I keep turning on F.lux?

Also, what about system boot. F.lux launches at boot, and it seems DisplayCAL’s profile launcher does not. I’m aware that F.lux can’t be activated when attempting to calibrate as it defeats the point of calibrating. However I simply need to be able to turn Fl.ux on and off when required without ruining calibration – ‘off’ in order to stop headaches,  and ‘on’ in order to work on colour sensitive work.

It seems like these two pieces of software do not work in harmony with each other, which is a real problem.

Equizz
    Participant

I have this from the F.lux website if it helps, not sure what it means entirely.

For better results, we recommend the use of hardware calibrators such as the very good x-rite i1 Display or ColorMunki Display, which write settings in standard ICC files that f.lux can read … If you use a Spyder, the software profile loader may cause f.lux to flash periodically. You can disable the Spyder software on startup, and use f.lux instead to load the profile. Also, when you’re calibrating a display, you’ll want to do the opposite and quit f.lux before you do.

The real problem is DisplayCAL’s profile launcher not loading while F.lux is active, or does the above mean that F.lux will keep the ICC profile loaded if DisplayCAL profile software isn’t loaded? Confused.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The real problem is DisplayCAL’s profile launcher not loading while F.lux is active, or does the above mean that F.lux will keep the ICC profile loaded if DisplayCAL profile software isn’t loaded?

The DisplayCAL profile loader will automatically disable itself when it detects f.lux, and re-enable itself when closing f.lux. Some of the profile loader’s functionality is provided by f.lux too, i.e. it takes care of the initial calibration loading, but it does not automatically restore calibration in case it is lost for whatever reason, and you should manually disable/close f.lux before doing measurements to make sure it can’t interfere.

PippoAACC
    Participant

Florian, thanks for the insight. One question: regardless of re-apply, the same properties of the icc will be loaded by flux than they are by DIsplayCAL loader right? Because the LUT tables are only looked up by color-aware apps on windows? Is that correct understanding?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Florian, thanks for the insight. One question: regardless of re-apply, the same properties of the icc will be loaded by flux than they are by DIsplayCAL loader right?

I think so, but I’m not sure if f.lux is tracking changes to the display profile.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS