DisplayCAL 3.8.9.3 + X-Rite DTP20 on Win 7

Home Forums Help and Support DisplayCAL 3.8.9.3 + X-Rite DTP20 on Win 7

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

kobolt77
    Participant

Hi everyone! I’m new to the world of display calibration and have gotten this Xerox X-Rite DTP20 for free and I want to try calibrating my display using it. Unfortunately, it’s quite an old device, so attempting to install its drivers on Windows 10 on my machine just leads to a BSOD. So far, the simplest solution I came up with was running a Windows 7 VM on my machine inside which I create a calibration profile based on the measurements done inside the VM and then apply it to my host machine. The driver for X-Rite installed just fine inside the VM, and so did the DisplayCAL software but, unfortunately, DisplayCAL won’t detect my X-Rite at all. Does anyone know why that is?

kobolt77
    Participant

Update: The device seems to work with the ArgyIICMS  instrument drivers even on Windows 10, but the calibration fails with ”Error – new_disprd failed with ”Instrument Access Failed””.
    Here is the resulting log file.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

It looks like DTP20 is not supported in Argyll (DisplayCAL engine) for displays, or your instrument version has some limitation, Argyll manual doesn`t say anything on displays & DTP20. Look at strings above in your log:

19:56:41,688 dtp20_init_inst: instrument inited OK
    19:56:41,688 Want emissive spot measurement capability but instrument doesn’t support it
    19:56:41,690 so switching to telephoto spot mode.
    19:56:41,690 Need telephoto emissive measurement capability,
    19:56:41,691 but instrument doesn’t support it
    19:56:41,693 Need telephoto emissive measurement capability but device doesn’t support it,
    19:56:41,694 new_disprd failed because config_inst_displ failed

kobolt77
    Participant

I see. To my knowledge, the device can be used for calibrating displays using the X-Rite Driver + X-Rite Monaco Optix XR software. Since I have no means of accessing that software, I hoped DisplayCal would be able to support it. As you said, it seems that the DTP20 is not supported in the ArgyII drivers and DisplayCal doesn’t support the X-Rite drivers either. I wonder if there’s any other way of making use of this device for calibrating my display.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

What about using old PC / WinXP and Monaco for making calibration/profile, then reseat the result to new one? Check display refresh ratio and resolution, display may use different contrast transformation for different modes. In rare cases usage of the same videocard is needed.

kobolt77
    Participant

I’d do that, but I just don’t have any working copy of the Monaco software.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS