Display & Instrument tab question

Home Forums Help and Support Display & Instrument tab question

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

Those photos represent pretty well what I see.

it looks the same even if I open a JPG with the default windows picture viewer…  the point is I do not think I should see a sharp line between the pure white and 254,254,254 and a sharp line between 1,1,1 and pure black as I see when the monitor has no profile whatsoever loaded and even with a non color managed application. or I’m wrong?

Is there a way after measuring that the panel is really 8 bits?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

grayscalepure.rar

I can definitely see the relatively hard jump from level 253 to 254 (the latter is basically indiscernible from level 255).

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

do you think is there a way to fix this via LUT? if I did all correctly what you see on that report is without any correction loaded.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

As I said, should be fixable by setting the brightness target (on the “Calibration” tab) lower than the actual measured brightness (i.e. start a calibration, note the reported white level during interactive adjustment, cancel, set a brightness target that’s slightly lower, run calibration without adjusting brightness to match the target).

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

I’m going to send all this to the manufacturer, may be there is something wrong with the gamma table on their hardware. Did you see the specs PDF? I understand is a wide gamut because all what it covers, but I see white LED there. And also I see color when I do a grayscale gradient in PS without dithering in 8 bits grayscale non color managed document, it is a rainbow….

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

As I said, should be fixable by setting the brightness target (on the “Calibration” tab) lower than the actual measured brightness (i.e. start a calibration, note the reported white level during interactive adjustment, cancel, set a brightness target that’s slightly lower, run calibration without adjusting brightness to match the target).

did this…. I get pink whites…. and still a huge jump from 0,0,0 to 1,1,1

Please feel free to tell me if I’m nagging you.  You have already helped me a lot and I do not want to give you a headache.

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

this is a screen capture, but I’m not sure it will dsplay the issue, I see a rainbow here

What really surprises me is tha the best result I got so far, it pretty much gives me a perfect transition between full white and the gradient, and still some issues with the black but not as much, is with the Colormunki software with a calibration that takes about 2 minutes top…

May be I’m askin too much of an 8 bits display with an 8 bits LUT and the colormunki software is doing a very simple correction…

a bit frustrating, but I’m doing all this mostly trying to understand why, and learn about it.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by Victor Wolansky. Reason: Attach picture and add a few lines
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Did you see the specs PDF? I understand is a wide gamut because all what it covers, but I see white LED there.

Section 5.2 from the PDF, “LED characteristics: RG Phosphor”.

did this…. I get pink whites

You probably need to set a brightness target that’s at least 5% lower than actual, i.e. 139 cd/m2 if the panel is running at 147 cd/m2 like in the report.

and still a huge jump from 0,0,0 to 1,1,1

This is not apparent from the report though, it progresses out of black relatively evenly.

Please feel free to tell me if I’m nagging you. You have already helped me a lot and I do not want to give you a headache.

No worries.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

What really surprises me is tha the best result I got so far, it pretty much gives me a perfect transition between full white and the gradient, and still some issues with the black but not as much, is with the Colormunki software with a calibration that takes about 2 minutes top…

That could indicate display (white level?) or instrument drift over time. Try enabling white level drift compensation on the display & instrument tab.

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

What does it mean RG Phosphor? That is RGB? or blue with yellow phospor? is it is wide gamut right?

Still surprised of the good result of the simple software of the Colormunki…

I’m very happy with the overall color rendition, the 4K looks awesome in this 17 inches screen, and things are very vivid….  unfortunately my photography is pretty much all over gradient or white or black backgrounds.

this is what I do, I dont remember if I showed it to you

http://www.victorwolanskyphoto.com/#!The-invisible-neck/c1ti3/33755DA7-7AAA-4573-B838-4D52E62D71C9

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

That could indicate display (white level?) or instrument drift over time. Try enabling white level drift compensation on the display & instrument tab.

Thanks, you are a saint!!!  I’ll make sure to leave another contribution for your time

Florian Höch
    Administrator

What does it mean RG Phosphor? That is RGB?

As far as I know, blue LEDs with a red/green coating.

http://www.victorwolanskyphoto.com/#!The-invisible-neck/c1ti3/33755DA7-7AAA-4573-B838-4D52E62D71C9

Looks beautiful and reminds me a bit of my old prepress art reproduction days 🙂

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

What does it mean RG Phosphor? That is RGB?

As far as I know, blue LEDs with a red/green coating.

Looks beautiful and reminds me a bit of my old prepress art reproduction days :-)

Thanks!!!  it is a bit of everything….  love my 3D printer and make gadgets for my photos, but I also spend quite a lot time at my dayjob color correcting for TV ads…  so at this time of the night my eyes are already wasted…

you should write a book specifically about color profiling and correcting monitors, there is a lot of information around there, but nothing one can trust 100%, at least that I know of…  and the only books I saw are sort of dated.

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

So if it is a blue led with red and grean coating then what setting I have to choose for the Spyder? RGB Wide?   I thought that RGB was like 3 LEDs…

Florian Höch
    Administrator

(Wow, the quoted smiley looks much too large. Will have to fix this in the site’s stylesheet)

you should write a book specifically about color profiling and correcting monitors,

If only I had the time! I’ll try to add to the Wiki in the future.

So if it is a blue led with red and grean coating then what setting I have to choose for the Spyder? RGB Wide? I thought that RGB was like 3 LEDs…

The Spyder4 doesn’t have a dedicated measurement mode for RG phosphor. But, you have a ColorMunki Photo, so you can just create a correction…

Calibrite ColorChecker Studio on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS