Different measured whitepoint than the target calibration whitepoint

Home Forums Help and Support Different measured whitepoint than the target calibration whitepoint

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Piotr Kołaczkowski
    Participant

I have two displays: Dell U3011 CCFL and Dell Precision 5520 UHD IPS LED backlit.
    Uncalibrated Precision is cold and U3011 is warm / reddish.

I used ColorMunki Display to calibrate them. I set the following settings for both of the screens:

• Interactive display adjustment: checked
    • Whitepoint: “Color temperature”  6500K,
    • White level: “As measured”
    • Tone curve: Gamma 2.2
    • Callibration speed: Very high
    • Profile quality: High

U3011 enables RGB gain control. I set U3011 to “Custom” color mode and then equalized RGB bars during interactive display adjustment and builtin display RGB gain control. I had to decrease green a little and red just a tiny a bit. I left all other monitor settings at  factory defaults.

Unfortunately my laptop display does not allow similar flexibility in RGB tuning. The only thing I can tune is brightness. The DisplayCal bars were not equal, with green and blue levels much higher than red level. I only set the brightness level to a similar one I used with U3011 (about 180 cd). Did I do something wrong here? Is it ok to leave these bars unequal and proceed with callibration?

After callibration both screen color is much more similar than before, hovewer there is still some discrepancy in whitepoint. The Precision one appears now warmer than U3011.

I did verification for both and I got whitepoint levels:

• U3011: 6738K, assumed target 6700K
    • Precision: 6598K, assumed target 6600K

Why are assumed temperatures higher than the 6500K that I set as target? Is it expected?

What should I do to make both screen colors closer to each other?

BTW: At first I did try Dell U3011 spectrometric correction from the online database, but this produced totally weird results. The colors did not match at all and DisplayCal said that my screen covered >300% of AdobeRGB gamut which looks just wrong to me.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Callibration speed: Very high

This is the lowest quality calibration setting. I would recommend using at least “High” (the default).

After callibration both screen color is much more similar than before, hovewer there is still some discrepancy in whitepoint. The Precision one appears now warmer than U3011.

See the FAQ.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS