Dell UP2716D Calibration Settings

Home Forums General Discussion Dell UP2716D Calibration Settings

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

How many fields have you used in uniformity test? For 32″ display there should be 7×5 at least, 9×7 for good error representation. Switch central selector in the test page to delta C (chroma), it is more important, than lightness (L), C difference up to 1.2 is acceptable for neighbor fields, but wish to have 0.9 or less, maximal delta C (center filed vs. any other one) should not exceed 2.3. Lightness fall up to 10% may be acceptable. Border fields are not valuable, you don’t place image there. Panels with no UC usually exceed these values. You can simply set light, than dark background and check whole screen field by your eyes, looking from 3m/10ft in orthogonal direction. 500:1 contrast is too low for editing images that will be displayed on computer/smartphone, cause typical IPS contrast ratio is 900…1300:1, but it could be usable for prepress, cause gloss paper does not exeed 280:1.

lineweight
    Participant

How many fields have you used in uniformity test? For 32″ display there should be 7×5 at least, 9×7 for good error representation. Switch central selector in the test page to delta C (chroma), it is more important, than lightness (L), C difference up to 1.2 is acceptable for neighbor fields, but wish to have 0.9 or less, maximal delta C (center filed vs. any other one) should not exceed 2.3. Lightness fall up to 10% may be acceptable. Border fields are not valuable, you don’t place image there. Panels with no UC usually exceed these values. You can simply set light, than dark background and check whole screen field by your eyes, looking from 3m/10ft in orthogonal direction. 500:1 contrast is too low for editing images that will be displayed on computer/smartphone, cause typical IPS contrast ratio is 900…1300:1, but it could be usable for prepress, cause gloss paper does not exeed 280:1.

I just used 3×3 (it’s a 27″ display).

I have the central selector on “average luminance & deltaC*00”

There is a C difference of up to 4 (maximum) and 2.9 (average) on the worst square, the others aren’t so bad. I have attached the report.

But maybe I need to repeat the test with 7 x 5?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Thank you for the fast reply, much appreciated.

To check i understand what you mean about using the community corrections, is it right that I should be looking at the one on the left of my attached screenshot, and not the one on the right (because it looks to be measured in Rec. 709 preset)?

Yes

Regarding the Spyder bundled corrections, in Instrument mode I am offered LCD CCFL Wide Gamut, or LCD RGB LED, that seem best to match, would it be one of those?

RGBLED, not equal to.. but it’s the closest one.

Regarding enabling UC it depends on
    -how bad it is monitor without UC and with UC active regarding uniformity
    -contrast with & without, specially if you want to use it fro web or othe rmultimedia puproses
    -how far native white is from your target. 6dE for example can be attained by GPU channel limitation without issue (excluding banding on some GPUs)

lineweight
    Participant

Most often i will be using it to edit content for web (photos, illustrations).

A small amount of video stuff, again for web.

And sometimes I print stuff, but mostly this is just on my own, not very special printer, and it doesn’t need to be dead accurate. I’m more interested in colour accuracy from the point of view of stuff that will be seen online on a screen.

I think this means that I want to retain a reasonable level of contrast, and contrast appears to be significantly better with UC off. I think I will do another uniformity measurement but with a 5×5 or 5×7 grid this time.

I need to do some reading-up to better understand the significance of white point and where it matters most.

lineweight
    Participant

C difference up to 1.2 is acceptable for neighbor fields, but wish to have 0.9 or less, maximal delta C (center filed vs. any other one) should not exceed 2.3. Lightness fall up to 10% may be acceptable.

A question … are the values you suggest here the values that would be given by the DisplayCAL measurements as the “average” ones – or the “maximum” ones?

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS