Dell U3014 Ultrasharp: Worth calibration or replace?

Home Forums Help and Support Dell U3014 Ultrasharp: Worth calibration or replace?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Nicoloks
    Participant

Hi All,

I’m into photo and video editing as a hobby and have been using an old Dell U3014 Ultrasharp for many years. Most of my work goes to my social media these days and I’ve found that images I edit on my Dell when  set to use sRGB colour space look perfect on my PC, yet on mobile devices look really dark and massively over saturated. Only way I have managed to get close to a consistent display across devices is to use the custom mode on the Dell to get full RGB controls.

Before I spend hundreds on something like the X-Rite i1 Display Pro to calibrate with DisplayCAL, just thought I’d check to see if I’m even heading in the right direction. Is the sort of thing I’m seeing a result of poorly calibrated monitor, or should I just be looking to replace my Dell with something using more up to date tech?

Appreciate the assistance.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Hi All,

I’m into photo and video editing as a hobby and have been using an old Dell U3014 Ultrasharp for many years. Most of my work goes to my social media these days and I’ve found that images I edit on my Dell when  set to use sRGB colour space look perfect on my PC, yet on mobile devices look really dark and massively over saturated. Only way I have managed to get close to a consistent display across devices is to use the custom mode on the Dell to get full RGB controls.

Easier, use GPU calibration on Custom Color, or DUCCS HW cal on CAL1/CAL1 with some native gamut.
    Then measure some widegamut AMOLED mobile to make a profile (remote measurement without calibration), or just choose DIsplayP3 (D65) as a generic phone screen profile

Option 1) Photoshop, softproof to “phone” display ICC, keep RGB numbers activated. => you can do this right now if you trust factory calibration, U3014 driver ICC must be set as default in OS settings and you must be on Standard or Custom color OSD mode.
    Option 2) Non color managed software, use LeDoge LUT3D to simulate such phone display. This is useful for mobile apps designers, artist (games),,, etc. => use U3014 driver ICC as destination if you do not have a colorimeter, same OSD presets as above.

Before I spend hundreds on something like the X-Rite i1 Display Pro to calibrate with DisplayCAL, just thought I’d check to see if I’m even heading in the right direction. Is the sort of thing I’m seeing a result of poorly calibrated monitor, or should I just be looking to replace my Dell with something using more up to date tech?

An i1DisplayPro with a widegamut monitor is a must. Try to use latest DUCCS version 1.6.x even if dell says “unsupported”.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Vincent.

Nicoloks
    Participant

Thanks Vincent, very much appreciate the assistance.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS