dell u2415 looks magenta compared to samsung. can corrections fix?

Home Forums Help and Support dell u2415 looks magenta compared to samsung. can corrections fix?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Simon Forsman
    Participant

i have a colormunki display. the calibration settings i’m using are
    observer CIE1931 2°
    color temperature is 10,000K
    white level and black level are as measured
    tone curve is gamma 2.2, gamma 2.2, relative
    black output offset 100%
    not sure if the other settings matter but i’ll mention them if asked what they are

for the display @ instruments settings, i have it set to
    mode- LCD generic
    white level and black level drift compensation are turned off, as are override minimum display update delay and display settle time multiplier are unchecked. the output level is set to auto and i calibrated both monitors just with the auto (none) correction.

the dell monitor is a U2415 and the samsung is an LU28R55. after calibrating the samsung with the auto none correction at 10,000K it said it achieved 97.9% sRGB which is good enough for me. when i calibrated the dell using the same settings though it has a noticeable magenta tint compared to the samsung and the calibration report said that the dell only had 87.2% sRGB. is this intrinsic to the monitor, like maybe it’s worn out or this is just an inherent problem that comes with using mismatched monitors? or can i use a correction? i don’t know which correction to use though is the thing. all i know at this point is that it uses a white LED but there are different options. should i use LCD white LED family? or should i use one of the options with LCD PFS phosphore WLED family? does WLED stand for white LED? i know that the dell has an IPS panel and the only options i see with IPS listed are the LCD PFS phosphore WLED options but i don’t know which to use. should i also apply a correction of some sort to the samsung? that is a mystery as well, i have no idea what to apply.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

S Simeonov
    Participant

i have a colormunki display. the calibration settings i’m using are
    observer CIE1931 2°
    color temperature is 10,000K
    white level and black level are as measured
    tone curve is gamma 2.2, gamma 2.2, relative
    black output offset 100%
    not sure if the other settings matter but i’ll mention them if asked what they are

for the display @ instruments settings, i have it set to
    mode- LCD generic
    white level and black level drift compensation are turned off, as are override minimum display update delay and display settle time multiplier are unchecked. the output level is set to auto and i calibrated both monitors just with the auto (none) correction.

the dell monitor is a U2415 and the samsung is an LU28R55. after calibrating the samsung with the auto none correction at 10,000K it said it achieved 97.9% sRGB which is good enough for me. when i calibrated the dell using the same settings though it has a noticeable magenta tint compared to the samsung and the calibration report said that the dell only had 87.2% sRGB. is this intrinsic to the monitor, like maybe it’s worn out or this is just an inherent problem that comes with using mismatched monitors? or can i use a correction? i don’t know which correction to use though is the thing. all i know at this point is that it uses a white LED but there are different options. should i use LCD white LED family? or should i use one of the options with LCD PFS phosphore WLED family? does WLED stand for white LED? i know that the dell has an IPS panel and the only options i see with IPS listed are the LCD PFS phosphore WLED options but i don’t know which to use. should i also apply a correction of some sort to the samsung? that is a mystery as well, i have no idea what to apply.

Out of curiosity, why do you use 10 000K color temperature?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by S Simeonov.

Simon Forsman
    Participant

i picked it for arbitrary reasons. i’m a complete beginner to color correction so there’s a lot of stuff that i don’t understand, one of which being how whitepoint works and why it matters so much. currently my only understanding of whitepoint is that it should be the same on every display you use on the same system and if there’s a slight tint then it doesn’t matter so much because your eyes adjust as long as the tint doesn’t clash with the ambient lighting of the room (maybe i’m wrong. this is just how i understand it but i’m probably wrong). after i wrote this post i tried calibrating the dell again by setting a manual whitepoint with the same hue as the samsung but it still came out wrong.  i’m at my wit’s end as to how to fix this.

Vincent
    Participant

all i know at this point is that it uses a white LED but there are different options. should i use LCD white LED family? or should i use one of the options with LCD PFS phosphore WLED family? does WLED stand for white LED? i know that the dell has an IPS panel and the only options i see with IPS listed are the LCD PFS phosphore WLED options but i don’t know which to use. should i also apply a correction of some sort to the samsung? that is a mystery as well, i have no idea what to apply.

White LED = WLED = “sRGB only” LED display using blue led + yellow phosphor => U2415

WLED PFS are P3 or P3+AdobeRGB LED backlights

If after calibrating both with generic CCSS or custom user made 3nm CCSS whites do not match use “visual whitepoint” matching in the secondary least important display.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS