Dell U2413 internal 3d LUT and Resolve

Home Forums Help and Support Dell U2413 internal 3d LUT and Resolve

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

adriano-ol SourceForge

Hi,

I have a U2413 hardware calibrated um i1 Profiler Pro (internal 3d LUT) to REC.709. Dell/X-Rite software is updated and seams to deal with REC 709 in BT1286 now.

DispcalGUI offers a Resolve preset LUT generetor.

As long as I have a 14bit 3D LUT calibrated monitor, what do I should change in this preset to properly ganerete a LUT for Resolve 12?

Thank you in advance.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

I have a U2413 hardware calibrated um i1 Profiler Pro (internal 3d LUT) to REC.709. Dell/X-Rite software is updated and seams to deal with REC 709 in BT1286 now.

When the monitor already adheres to Rec. 709 / 1886 through its internal 3D LUT, there’s no need to create another LUT on top of it (provided the internal hardware LUT is accurate).

As long as I have a 14bit 3D LUT calibrated monitor, what do I should change in this preset to properly ganerete a LUT for Resolve 12?

Since this monitor is connected directly, there is no inherent need to go through Resolve when profiling as it will be quite a bit slower, meaning you can change the display (on the “Display & instrument” tab) to the actual display, which should appear as “Dell U2413 @ 0, 0, 1920×1200” or similar in the list (still use the “Resolve” preset as a base so the 3D LUT parameters are setup correctly). Furthermore, to maximize the available colorspace for the 3D LUT, you may want to drive the monitor in its native wide-gamut mode instead of REC709.

• This reply was modified on 2015-11-28 15:45:06 by fhoech.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Also be sure to use the “LCD RG Phosphor” spectral correction if your instrument is an i1 DisplayPro/ColorMunki display.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

adriano-ol SourceForge

Ok!

How can I verify if the internal 3D LUT is ok?
    What deltas would indicate a good match?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You can setup the preset like I described, then select “<Current>” under settings (this assumes i1 Profiler created a ICCv2 profile, otherwise it won’t work), then go to the “Verification” tab, disable “Devicelink profile” and click “Measurement report…”. A good result would be an average deltaE 2000 of around 0.5 and a maximum below 3.

adriano-ol SourceForge

Great!

I can hardware calibrate this motitor to: Native (seams to chose sRGB primiries when I would expect wider gamuut), sRGB, Adobe RGB, REC709, P3-DCI (emulation).

As long as my workflow is video and visual effecs, would you recomend:

1) Calibrate internaly to REC 709 and be ok with softwares that color correct (After, Photoshop) or don’t (Premiere, Resolve)?

2) Calibrate internaly to a wider gammut (Native or Adobe RGB?) and create LUTs for non color corrected softwares (Resolve, Premiere, mcVR…)?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I would look at the accuracy in hardware calibrated mode (as described above) and make a decisiuon from there.

adriano-ol SourceForge

I did a hardware REC709 calibration an verified it. It seams not good, isn’t it?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/08eo6ote9yb7ooc/Measurement%20Report.zip?dl=0

So I’d better hardware calibrate do Native (or Adobe RGB) and perform a profiling through DispcalGUI + LUT to Resolve?

Or baypass hardware calibration, reseting monitor and seting it to “Standard” and do everything with DispcalGUI?

Thank you for your kind attention, Florian!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I wonder if i1Profiler really uses BT 1886. The result looks more like the monitor was calibrated to a 2.2 gamma target. You can change to gamma 2.2 on the “Verification” tab and see if that matches better.

Also, what was the display type selected in i1 Profiler?

adriano-ol SourceForge

Yeah, it gets ok with gamma 2.2 verification…

I am using “Dell UltraSharp Calibration Solution” (a Dell version of i1 Profiler) so it detecs my display as U2413.

Waht do you recommend?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Yeah, it gets ok with gamma 2.2 verification…

Can you link the report?

I am using “Dell UltraSharp Calibration Solution” (a Dell version of i1 Profiler) so it detecs my display as U2413.

There should be a little dropdown field below the display selector, unless that’s not there in this custom version of i1 Profiler.

adriano-ol SourceForge

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thanks, that report looks alright, but could probably be better. If you verify through DUCS (not sure if it has that option unlocked, it’s normally called “Profile Quality” I think), how does that turn out?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS