Dell U2413 and ColorMunky

Home Forums Help and Support Dell U2413 and ColorMunky

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Alex
    Participant

Good afternoon, this is my first post in this forum.

After selling my Mac Mini Late 2009 I bought a newer pc on which I installed XUbuntu 16.10. The ´new’ hardware is a Quad Core cpu with 4Gb of ram and a Sapphire video card, which is an AMD/ATI Radeon Toxic R9 270x equipped with 2Gb of DDR3 video ram.

After fully updating the system and installing all the software I need, I decided to calibrate my monitor using DispCalGui.

Right from the start it recognized the hardware and, in the first part of calibration, it showed a strong green cast. In order to get rid of the green I tried to set the monitor the way it suggested and, when the channels were at the same level (according to the bars of the software), I got a visible magenta cast.

The lightness was measured a little low too, with the Mac I was used to keep it set to 25% to get 140cd/cm^2, now the measure is 120cd/cm^2, so I set the lightness to 50%.

After the calibration I still have the strong magenta cast and the high lightness and I don´t know if I did any mistake during the process or it can be a sort of incompatibility between XUbuntu and my hardware.

How can I get a correct calibration?

Thank you very much in advance.

Alex

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

The DELL U2413 has a GB-r-LED backlight.

Are you using a ColorMunki Display, Smile or Photo? In case of the first, the correction to choose is “Spectral: LCD RG Phosphor (addition of U2413…)”. The CM Smile does not have a correction for GB-r-LED. The CM Photo is a spectrometer, so no correction needed there.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Alex
    Participant

ColorMunky Display.

If I remember right I was asked to choose the device, ColorMunky was contained in the first option, together with a couple of devices, pre-selected and suggested because it was recognized, but I think it’s a different dialog box.

This evening I’m going to try.

I own an old pc in the city where I was born (I work very far from there), since it is recognized by Argyll/DispCal I brought there an I1 Display 2 colorimeter. When I’ll go there for vacations I’ll calibrate and profile that monitor too, bot the only thing I remember is that it is an Acer one (LCD, obviously).

Can you give me another hint about it? Maybe I can solve issues right from the start.

Thank you very much.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Alex.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If I remember right I was asked to choose the device, ColorMunky was contained in the first option, together with a couple of devices, pre-selected and suggested because it was recognized, but I think it’s a different dialog box.

Yes, that is the dialog for importing the corrections that you can afterwards choose under the “Correction” drop-down menu.

[…] I1 Display 2 colorimeter. When I’ll go there for vacations I’ll calibrate and profile that monitor too, bot the only thing I remember is that it is an Acer one (LCD, obviously).

For the i1D2 you can look for a matching correction in the online corrections database (although keep in mind these are user-supplied, so may not work well with your specific display and instrument). Otherwise, use the “LCD (generic)” measurement mode, although in case of the i1D2, that is for CCFL-backlit displays, not WLED ones (if the Acer monitor is old it may be still CCFL backlit though).

Alex
    Participant

Ok, now colors are neutral, but still a little too saturated, if compared to the calibration made under Mac OsX with the original software.

If I have to say the truth I like them, but I don’t know if it is the right behavior.

I found the model od the Acer lcd display: AL1717.

Here a link to the specs and a picture: http://www.monitors-catalog.com/acer-al1717fsd-17-inch-computer-lcd-monitor-catalog

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Ok, now colors are neutral, but still a little too saturated, if compared to the calibration made under Mac OsX with the original software.

If I have to say the truth I like them, but I don’t know if it is the right behavior.

It’s impossible to say without another, more accurate instrument to check (say, an i1 Pro spectrometer).

Alex
    Participant

Hi again.

After several format and reinstall (in order to find the distro I like the most) I decided to install Debian Testing.

After completing the calibration and generating the file the software gives me an error when installing it in the system, both if I choose only for me or system wide.

Attached is the error I get.

After rebooting the profile is not correctly loaded on startup, I can clearly see the magenta cast I usually have when I just reinstalled the whole system and before launching DispCalGui, especially when I use some game or program like Gnome Sudoku, which only uses white, black and gray.

Can you help me?

It would be enough if you tell me to edit a configuration file as root just to add/complete a line like:

load_profile=/path…/profilename.icc

Thank you very much 🙂

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You probably need to install a colord-aware session daemon. This doesn’t look like a Gnome system, where that support comes built-in, so look into xiccd.

Alex
    Participant

I installed Xfce (based on Gtk+ as Gnome….), but with XUbuntu xiccd was installed by default, in Debian it wasn’t.

Now the profile is correctly loaded and the colors are neutral; the error message still stays on, but it isn’t a real problem.

Thank you again

Alex
    Participant

I’m pretty sure that all these deamons are possessing my pc….

After a reboot the profile is not loaded again, looking in the list of the deamons and processes started during the boot I can see Dispcal and Xiccd correctly selected and loaded, but the colors are magenta again.

If I try to launch DispCalGui and select the profile, this time, I get no errors, it is correctly installed system wide, but with no changes.

Please help me making an exorcism….

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If I try to launch DispCalGui and select the profile, this time, I get no errors, it is correctly installed system wide, but with no changes.

If you see no immediate change when installing the profile (assuming it actually does include nonlinear calibration), you’ll have to check why that is. I.e. check your graphics driver, other programs that may interfere (e.g. nVidia binary driver control panel), etc.

Alex
    Participant

Since my home pc is fast enough I switched back to XUbuntu and all was fine in this last 3 months, but after the last updates Xiccd is not in the software list anymore.

I tried a different daemon, colord, with its Gtk gui, but after installing I can’t find it in my menu list.

As a result I get magenta colors again with the attached message on boot, I’m trying to install Xiccd from a different source but what if it’ll fail?

Thank you again

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Alex
    Participant

A little update….

I found xcalib, but it needs to be run manually with the following command line:

xcalib <filename>.icc

It works fine, I only need to find the way to automatically run it at the boot.

Adding it to the Boot and Settings panel didn’t work (xiccd was totally automatic in this respect), do you know any workaround?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Adding it to the Boot and Settings panel didn’t work (xiccd was totally automatic in this respect), do you know any workaround?

Add it to your .profile file.

Alex
    Participant

Hi Florian.

Since the last message I found an accomodation with Debian testing and Xfce, I have installed xiccd.

When I run DispCal I get an error on installing the profile system wide, precisely colord takes too long to respond, everything else seems to go fine, until I turn off the pc.

When I turn on it again I have a strong green cast in the highlights.

To test the situation I usually go on this site: http://www.photozone.de

The pictures of the lenses are still life on a white background, after installing the profile I can see the pictures with the right colors, but when I start the pc again the little halos/shadows of the lenses are green, with a moiree effect. If you need a picture I’ll try to shot a photo to clarify.

Is there a way to make the calibration effective for a couple of weeks?

Thank you again 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS