DaVinci Resolve Viewer Calibration

Home Forums Help and Support DaVinci Resolve Viewer Calibration

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Sareesh
    Participant

Hi, I recently purchased a cheap LG 32UD59 as GUI monitor for DaVinci Resolve. My GPU is a 1080 Ti and the display is driven through Displayport 1.2, I presume. My probe is an X-Rite i1 Display Pro Retail version.

I forced the GPU to color manage video through the Nvidia Control Panel. This allowed me to select 10-bit as output color depth and Full dynamic range. I thought if I did this I could avoid any management through Windows 10 Pro.

Next I followed the instructions for DisplayCal Resolve Workflow for GUI. I decided to stick to 1886 (2.4) Gamma instead of 2.2, but did not make any changes. After profiling I created a 3D LUT that I saved in the Resolve LUT folder and selected in Resolve. Finally, I clicked Install Profile in DisplayCal (I am not sure what this does) and I guess everything has the profile (Rec. 709) applied. This workstation is predominantly a Resolve workstation so it doesn’t matter how the other apps behave. Chrome did invert colors (magenta-green mainly) but I fixed that. Edge continues to show color as profiled. So far so good.

So my question is, am I done? I did verify the profile and received an HTML file which shows good delta E. I’m getting 120 nits for white and 0.1 nits for black, which is decent considering this is a VA panel, not IPS. There are other issues with the panel, but that’s for another day. All the graphs in the verification report look okay.

I did try to verify it using LightSpace DPS but the RGB grey values are off. I did read the FAQ where Florian tells us we need to make sure the right settings are selected. I did select Rec. 709, etc., as asked to by the documentation. It seems even the basic calibration step, where I use the brightness and RGB levels, are different. Both DisplayCal and LightSpace DPS need different tweaks to line up both RGB and Nits levels. Which is why I got confused. If the DisplayCal verification report says it’s okay, should I just ignore everything and continue?

Thanks!

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS