DaVinci Resolve profile for MacOS with Dell U4021QW

Home Forums Help and Support DaVinci Resolve profile for MacOS with Dell U4021QW

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Nick C
    Participant

Readjusted the hardware to better stick to D65. Results attached :

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Its good for desktop, you can even avoid making a LUT3D and rely on that simple ICC (display is a match for that).

Anyway, let’s assume you want a LUT3D and keep that calibration and simpe profile for all other apps at the same time as resolve.
    You need to change all settings in calibratin tab to native, hence no custom GPU calibration will be performed, Lower button will change to “Profile only”, then DisplayCAL will ask you (or asked in the past) which VCGT is going to be applied to that  “profile only” stage: no calibration (linear VCGT ) or current (your current  matrix+1curve+bpc ICC for desktop). You choose the 2nd one, and make a detailed ICC profile for the same grey calibration as desktop. Save that ICC but do not install it as default display profile (and if you isntalled it, undo it and choose again your simpler matrix profiler in colorsync/macos preferences).
    Then make manually as many LUT3D you want with whatever source colorspace you want: Rec709 g2.2, Rec1886, 2.4, simulate some non color managed android tablet video player… whatever you want.

For MPV it has been a lot of time since it tested it but you’ll need 2 data sources for color management, one is display profile (“destination”) and the other one is source colorspace. Assuming that when opening an MP4 it belives it is Rec709, you need to configure which was the desired TRC g2.2 or 2.4 or whatever you want.
    Check documentation since I may have remembered it wrong.

Nick C
    Participant

Thanks for the detailed answer. 🙂

I am in the process of creating the LUT3D using the LUT for Resolve template for which I changed the Calibration tab to “As measured” and unticked iterative display calibration and button changed to “Profile only”.

Then I checked the 2nd option to use the <Current> VCGT. The 3D LUT tab remains as the template sets it, i.e. Rec.1886 and 2.4 Absolute with just the “Apply vcgt” setting unchecked.

Will wait for it to be finished and see how it goes in Resolve + MPV.

Nick C
    Participant

Ok, I’ve generated the LUT for Resolve using the preset BT.1886 and the introduction provided by you.

For MPV we have this https://mpv.io/manual/master/#options-lut which I guess is the file that I’ve just generated for Resolve and also there’s the https://mpv.io/manual/master/#options-icc-profile-auto .

I’m guessing those 2 options in a .config file pointing to the right .cube file should make MPV behave as Resolve.

Nick C
    Participant

Ok. So for uploading stuff to YouTube, since it used TRC of BT.709, does it actually use the standardised BT.1886 or just a plain gamma 2.2 or 2.4 power curve?

From the results I’m getting now, Resolve and MPV seem to play nice when just the system ICC is loaded.

For Resolve I also have to check the “Use Mac Color profiles for viewers” option to force it to use the ICC, else it will default to native/P3 of the monitor.

However, if I load the LUT3D in Resolve as well as the aforementioned setting, the results are off. But it might be due to the BT.1886 target used in that LUT…and I have no way of knowing since the display is limited contrast.

I could try to create a LUT3D again with Rec.709 + tone curve of 2.2 or 2.4…but at this point I’m unsure if it’s worth the effort since the results seem OK with just the ICC and the display seems to be quite “behaved”. What do you think?

Vincent
    Participant

You cannot apply a LUT3D on top of a color managed app (or configured to use OS color management settings)… you applied it twice.
    It’s like going in circles. If you configure Resolve to use ICC you cannot use LUT3D. If you use LUT3D you cannot apply ICC color correction INSIDE Resolve ( “Use Mac Color profiles for viewers”).

Nick C
    Participant

Yeah, you’re right. I’ve also discovered that I was using DaVinci Wide Gamut Color Managed with the 3DLUT loaded and these don’t play well tougher.

Since I use Wide Gamut Color Manged, the only settings that makes sense is the “Use Mac Color profiles for viewer” turned on and no LUT loaded. Then everything looks exactly the same in Color viewer and MPV export. I’m guessing YouTube should work as well, but Safari does it’s own thing similar to QuickTime, so that’s that.

Thanks again for all your help on this matter, Vincent. I’ve certainly learned a few things about how this color management works on Mac and Resolve these few days.

Vincent
    Participant

Since I use Wide Gamut Color Manged, the only settings that makes sense is the “Use Mac Color profiles for viewer” turned on and no LUT loaded

Turned off and LUT3D loaded, it’s equivalent. All the other apps won’t care.

Nick C
    Participant

You’re right. I had initially created the LUT using the preset defaults and it had TRC of BT.1886..which shifted the colors a bit from what I was seeing with “Use Mac Color profiles for viewer” turned on compared to the MPV + ICC profile version.

Now I have a LUT made with Rec.709 and Gamma 2.4 Relative as instructed and the results are identical (or at least imperceptible to my eye) between Resolve + LUT and Resolve + Mac setting/ICC profile.

Very happy with the results as both pass extended verification with ∆E of 0.32 and max ∆E of about 1.31 (at least around the Resolve viewer area, as panel uniformity isn’t the best for such a large size–around ∆E 2 variance from corners to center/viewer area).

Thanks again for all your guidance.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS