Datacolor SpyderX color metering with python

Home Forums Help and Support Datacolor SpyderX color metering with python

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Danka
    Participant

Hello,

I would like to ask your help in the following topic. This year on my university I will write a thesis about to using of colour meter in different area. I have an Datacolor SpyderX equipment and I would like to measure some Pantone color card (real card, not test chart which visible on the screen) and save the results through python. I can connect to the device with python script but I don’t find any solution that how can I measure colour card and save the data.

Could you please help me is there any solution to measure Pantone card and save the results in python?

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

the SpyderX, being a display colorimeter, can only take emissive readings, not reflectance.

Danka
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback.  On the first test in the DisplayCal I set the “Display” in the “Display and instrument” menu to “Untethered” and I checked the device on the well illuminated  red paper and results was right. Therefore I supposed that this measurement also can be done through python.

What do you think about it?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The question is how much accuracy you are looking for. The combined effect of illuminant + reflective colorant is usually pretty different from emissive devices like displays. If you just want to measure “something” without much regard whether or not that “something” is an accurate representation of the actual color, your approach may work, but the data gathered in such a way may be not very useful depending on what you’re after.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS