Data or video levels (DaVinci Resolve calibration)

Home Forums Help and Support Data or video levels (DaVinci Resolve calibration)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Fryderyk
    Participant

Hi,

I’m a little confused, that’s way I want to make sure, which settings I should choose while making calibration for Resolve in DaVinci Resolve Master Project Settings and in “output levels” in DisplayCAL.

I found different information. One say, that I should set the video levels, while other say, that there’s only one condition must be fulfilled: everywhere in pipeline should be the same, i.e. in Master Project Settings, on the monitor (where I also choose the range) and in DisplayCAL.

Thank you for your answer.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

which settings I should choose while making calibration for Resolve in DaVinci Resolve Master Project Settings and in “output levels” in DisplayCAL.

you do not necessarily need to change anything here. The default settings are usually correct.

hat there’s only one condition must be fulfilled: everywhere in pipeline should be the same, i.e. in Master Project Settings, on the monitor (where I also choose the range) and in DisplayCAL.

It’s true that what you send from Resolve needs to match the levels your display device expects. But in DisplayCAL, this means leaving output levels at auto or setting them to full range, otherwise you’ll have double conversion when using video levels out (the default) in Resolve.

Fryderyk
    Participant

So to make sure I want to summarise:

1) in Resolve (with DeckLinkcard) in Master Project Settings: Video Levels
    2) in DisplayCAL I set: 0-255
    3) on monitor I set HDMI RGB Range 16-235

Florian Höch
    Administrator

That should be correct, yes.

Willian Aleman
    Participant

That should be correct, yes.

Being data range equal to (0-255 or  0-1023) and TV legal range level, equal to, (16-235 or 64-940) I don’t understand why DisplayCAL recommendation is 0-255. Specially, when the display is setup to or limited to receive a TV legal range: 16-235 input. Why DisplayCAL recommendation of data level is correct instead of matching  the display expected setting?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Because Resolve will already do the correct levels conversion. If you limit the signal in DisplayCAL as well, you get double range conversion.

Willian Aleman
    Participant

Because Resolve will already do the correct levels conversion. If you limit the signal in DisplayCAL as well, you get double range conversion.

Thanks for the clarification. It’s good to know this. Then, probably a less confused and descriptive tab term in DisplaCAL would be – Video/Data Level Range: – As Measure.

Technically,  the function underline would be the same, however, the description would be more accurate.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS