Crushed dark tones

Home Forums Help and Support Crushed dark tones

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Sabin
    Participant

Hello,

I’m struggling for the last two days to calibrate my DELL U3014 and U2713H with DisplayCAL. The calibration passes ok, without errors, but I get different view results in different programs.

I’m having troubles with the following programs: FastPictureVirewer 1.9, PhotoMechanic 5.0, SilkyPix Developer Studio Pro 8.0.8.

I have no problems with Photoshop and Firefox.

On the picture with the lizard you can see behind the lizard that all the detail in the rocks is crushed to black on the left side and it is far more visible on the right side. All the programs use the same profile.

I’m also attaching screenshot with the settings of my last test, but basically I tried nearly everything.

The only error I get is when I try to measure Black level. When I press the eyedropper I got the following error: NameError: Global name ‘patterngenerator’ is not defined

In the calibration process I got no errors.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Sabin
    Participant

Here is calibration data archive from DisplayCal and calibration file from i1Profiler, which is working fine with all the programs.

Any idea where is my problem?

Thanks!

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

I’m having troubles with the following programs: FastPictureVirewer 1.9, PhotoMechanic 5.0, SilkyPix Developer Studio Pro 8.0.8.

the problem are unsuitable settings in the mentioned programs. Use perceptual rendering intent or enable black point compensation (if available, the latter can also be baked into the profile in DisplayCAL if the imaging software does not offer BPC).

Sabin
    Participant

Thanks Florian!

The programs do not have such option. How can I bake this in the profile?

Sabin
    Participant

Also, should I Reset video card gamut table before doing a calibration?
    If I reset it after calibration is applied I get some change, but after re-enabling clicking “load calibration from current display device profile(s)” color change is again applied.

ps I’m attaching a screenshot of the error message I mentioned in my first post.

Attachments:

Sabin
    Participant

I made two more tests creating profiles from measured data.
    Using XYZ LUT +swapped matrix – no unusual colors.
    Using Curved + matrix – all is working fine.

One more question, is is possible to create version 4 ICM files with DisplayCAL?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The programs do not have such option. How can I bake this in the profile?

Enable advanced options in the “Options” menu, enable black point compensation on the “Profiling” tab, then choose “Create profile from measurement data…” in the “File…” menu and select your existing profile.

Also, should I Reset video card gamut table before doing a calibration?

This is handled automatically.

ps I’m attaching a screenshot of the error message I mentioned in my first post.

This will be fixed in the next update, but generally I would advise against setting a specific white or black level target anyway because this may limit the achievable contrast ratio.

Using XYZ LUT +swapped matrix – no unusual colors.

That’s good, because it seems to indicate all the programs you use are utilizing the cLUT part of the profile (as they should).

Using Curved + matrix – all is working fine.

DisplayCAL automatically enables black point compensation for matrix profiles (because there is only one set of curves, unlike cLUT type profiles where there can be several tables).

One more question, is is possible to create version 4 ICM files with DisplayCAL?

No, but ICCv4 doesn’t really offer any functional advantages over ICCv2.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Florian Höch.

Sabin
    Participant

Thanks Florian for the detailed answer!

Unfortunately checking BPC checkbox and selecting “Create profile from measured data…” and selecting icm or ti3 file does not show any difference. The dark tones are still crushed to black.

Does it matter if I select ti3 file or ICM? It created a slightly using ICM as a source file.

I’m attaching tree files in one zip.
    The original ICM file:
    U3014 #2 2017-06-26 00-11 D6000 2.2 S XYZLUT+MTX.icm

And two BPC profiles greated from the original icm and ti3 files:
    U3014 #2 2017-06-26 00-11 D6000 2.2 S XYZLUT+MTX_BPC_ICM_Data.icm
    U3014 #2 2017-06-26 00-11 D6000 2.2 S XYZLUT+MTX_BPC_t3_data.icm

Can you confirm that they have the BPC backed in them?

Any other ideas?

Attachments:

Sabin
    Participant

I have a friend with older dell monitor, who is also using FastPictureViewer, SilkyPix Developer studio and have no problem with them. The calibration is also made with i1Profiler and DispayCal (older version) under Windows 10. I sent him the file and it displays correctly. We checked most of the settings and they are indentical. I wander if the problem may be in the operating system. Is there a easy way to repair some modules of the OS that are sesponsible for color managment?

I may be able to connect my dell to windows 10 notebook and check that theory.

Sabin
    Participant

Hi again.

I tested on new windows 10 notebook. New installation of DisplayCal and Silkipix DSP.

With DELL U2713H – same problem.

With it’s one screen – no problem.

So, it has to be something specific to this series of DELLs U2713H. My friends Dell is also Wide Gamut, but it is not LED and has no problem.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Unfortunately checking BPC checkbox and selecting “Create profile from measured data…” and selecting icm or ti3 file does not show any difference. The dark tones are still crushed to black.

That is actually a bug, I will fix this in the next update as well. Please use the attached (fixed) profile.

Does it matter if I select ti3 file or ICM? It created a slightly using ICM as a source file.

No.

Attachments:

Sabin
    Participant

The attached profile fixed the problem for Silkypix DSP, but Photo Mechanic and FastPictureViewer are still not displaying correctly the dark tones.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Photo Mechanic and FastPictureViewer are still not displaying correctly the dark tones.

That indicates a problem in these programs then, they are probably not able to deal with cLUT profiles correctly. Try creating a shaper+matrix profile instead.

Sabin
    Participant

Obviously.

No problem with 3Curves+matrix, dough Photo Mechanic shows a little darker blacks, but the difference is small.

Thanks Florian. I’m glad I helped you discover two bugs in the process 🙂

Cheers!
    Sabin

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS