Creating 3D LUT for eeColor

Home Forums Help and Support Creating 3D LUT for eeColor

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

sladans1ma
    Participant

I am trying to create a 3D LUT for my eeColor box and I have a question.  Prior to the calibration run, I select Video 3D LUT for eeColor in the Settings drop down.  When the profile completes, eeColor still appears in the settings drop down.

However, when I save the LUT, the file is named  “madVR … ” and as soon as I get back to the main  screen, the settings drop down has reverted to madVR.

Did I actually generate a 3D LUT for eeColor?  Could I have messed up another setting somewhere else?

I have uploaded the resulting LUT to the eeColor box and I do not believe it is working properly.

Thank you.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

However, when I save the LUT, the file is named “madVR … ” and as soon as I get back to the main screen, the settings drop down has reverted to madVR.

Did you use madVR (madTPG) as dispay device? Note that this is separate from the 3D LUT format.

sladans1ma
    Participant

Yes, I did use madVR as the display device.  eeColor was also selected as the output format.

Part of the reason for asking is that once I uploaded the LUT into the eeColor and then measured the grey scale and colors with HCFR, I am nowhere near the proper color space  and I am off somewhat on the white balance.  As a result, I am trying to step through the process to figure out where I went wrong.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

[…] measured the grey scale and colors with HCFR, I am nowhere near the proper color space and I am off somewhat on the white balance

Make sure you’re using the exact same colorimeter correction and meter mode in HCFR as in DisplayCAL. Also make sure your gamma target is correct (especially for BT.1886).

sladans1ma
    Participant

A couple of quick follow ups:

1. It sounds like I am OK with the LUT being named madVR, correct (nothing to worry about)?
    2. Using X-rite i1 Display Pro in HCFR and DisplayCAL
    3. Using Display type “LCD White LED IPS (WLED AC LG Samsung) in HCFR  and the same named correction in DisplayCAL
    4. I am using LCD (generic) Mode in DisplayCAL.  I am unsure what “meter mode” means in HCFR.  I am using “Reading type = Display” and “Observer type” = Default in HCFR.  Am I missing something?

Gamma target is ITU – R BT 1886 in HCFR. Tone curve is set to Rec. 1886 in DisplayCAL.

I have spent many hours trying to make everything work properly and really appreciate the quick responses.  I am pretty technical but this has been an interesting learning experience 🙂

Any thoughts for where I should look next?

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

It sounds like I am OK with the LUT being named madVR, correct (nothing to worry about)?

If you’re using the default profile filename, then the selected display’s model name (in this case “madVR” as selected on the “Display & instrument” tab) will be the leading part of the filename.

I am using LCD (generic) Mode in DisplayCAL. I am unsure what “meter mode” means in HCFR. I am using “Reading type = Display” and “Observer type” = Default in HCFR. Am I missing something?

That looks fine.

Any thoughts for where I should look next?

The first course of action would be verifying the 3D LUT using DisplayCAL.

sladans1ma
    Participant

I was able to use the following settings to check the results of DisplayCAL with the eeColor set to pass-through.
    (Simulation Profile, Use simulation profile as target profile, and DeviceLink profile all checked.)

I received the attached report. This looks great.

I have uploaded the LUT to the eeColor and tried a number of different settings, but I cannot figure out how to verify that the uploaded LUT yields the same results as in the attached report. I am sure I am missing something. Can you tell me what settings in DisplayCAL I should use to verify that the uploaded LUT is properly performing? (Based upon what I see on the TV screen, I don’t think the eeColor/LUT are working properly, so it is tought to know the right settings.)

Thank you!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Can you tell me what settings in DisplayCAL I should use to verify that the uploaded LUT is properly performing?

Based on the settings shown in your screenshot, disable device link profile. Make sure the correct LUT slot is selected on the eeColor.

sladans1ma
    Participant

I have only uploaded one non-unity LUT and it is to slot #1 – so I know the correct slot is selected.  The verification you suggested was the first verification I ran.  My settings and report are attached.  I am sure I am missing something obvious.  Also, I just noticed that the white point is off in the report (0.3457, 0.3585) even though it reads 0.3127, 0.3290 in the DisplayCAL settings.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

My settings and report are attached. I am sure I am missing something obvious

Hmm. How do you display the test patches? Through madVR? And then from PC HDMI out into eeColor? Is there any 3D LUT active in madVR?

Also, I just noticed that the white point is off in the report (0.3457, 0.3585)

The chromatically adapted whitepoint is always the D50 equivalent (so that a* = b* = 0). Look under basic info for the actual measured, not chromatically adapted whitepoint, or enable the use of absolute values on the report (but note that this will likely unduly decrease gray scale dE, as it moves gray away from a* = b* = 0).

sladans1ma
    Participant

Hmm. How do you display the test patches? Through madVR? And then from PC HDMI out into eeColor? Is there any 3D LUT active in madVR?

I am displaying the test patches with madVR via HDMI through the eeColor with eeColor turned off  (profile 0) during profiling using extended Windows desktop .  During verification, I am using madVR through the eeColor with the LUT selected using extended Windows desktop.  The Disable  Video LUTs and Disable 3DLUTs are both checked/selected.

The chromatically adapted whitepoint is always the D50 equivalent (so that a* = b* = 0). Look under basic info for the actual measured, not chromatically adapted whitepoint, or enable the use of absolute values on the report (but note that this will likely unduly decrease gray scale dE, as it moves gray away from a* = b* = 0).

OK.  I see that now.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS