Create LUT Based On Mac Display

Home Forums Help and Support Create LUT Based On Mac Display

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Sherlock
    Participant

Can someone tell me how to create a LUT based on the Macbook display “HD 709-A”? I color graded an entire film on Davinci Resolve while having HD 709-A selected as the display color profile instead of the default “Color LCD”.  So I want to create a LUT that converts from this to that.

I just need a step by step process because I’m new to Display Cal. Thanks 🙂

Vincent
    Participant

Yuo need to redo all your work since your work is currently saved (or configured to be saved) as if it was encoded in a Display P3 screen that no other people will have.

Anyway, since you asked:

-For DisplayP3 content to Rec709 device (reverse what you did, possible with colorspace clipping), go to LUT3D creator
    source : DisplayP3
    destination : Rec709
    You should add it and preview it as “working/effect” LUT3D.

-To grade as you should have done:
    source: Rec709
    destination: a display profile that actually captures how your display behaves. You you “trust” that deiver/default ICC for mac is accurate, use that one (DisplayP3, Color LCD or whatever it is named)
    Configure it as display LUT3D in resolve as explained in FAQ

Sherlock
    Participant

I think there’s a misunderstanding. I don’t want to convert from Display P3 (color LCD) to Rec 709…the differences between the colors of a Mac to iPhone to Windows is very slight that it doesn’t bother me.

I want to convert from 2 different color profiles in the mac itself…I’ll attach photos.

Is that how you understood it? Because maybe I didn’t understand what you were trying to say.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

MacOS itself does not support LUT3D or device link as display profiles system wide. Some apps can support it internally (as in Windows)

What you want is not supported by your HW & SW.

What your SW supports is that IF content has a known colorspace (or a supposed one) and app supports color profiles (via ColorSync or their own engine like Adobe) then it reencodes content (changes RGB values) on the fly to display colorspace described by display profile.

That means THERE IS ONLY ONE VALID DISPLAY PROFILE to select on that screenshot, the default one. ALL OTHERS ARE NOT MEANT TO BE USED AS DISPALY PROFILE. NEVER. If you had access to a colorimeter or spectrophotometer (last one not recommended on P3 screen if device is Xrite 10nm spectros) then the resulting taylor made profile can be used as display profile. But all others you see there ARE NOT MEANT TO BE USED AS DISPLAY PROFILE.

That’s the very reason that checkbox is there… and it should be ENABLED.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Vincent.

Sherlock
    Participant

Okay, I get you. I used a display profile that wasn’t supposed to be used on my screen.

My question is: Why can’t I create a custom LUT (using a colorimeter) that mimics the look of that foreign display? Surely I can do one that closely resembles it by my own eye sight, but why can’t I create a perfectly accurate one?

Also thanks for bearing with me haha

Vincent
    Participant

My question is: Why can’t I create a custom LUT (using a colorimeter) that mimics the look of that foreign display? Surely I can do one that closely resembles it by my own eye sight, but why can’t I create a perfectly accurate one?

You can… but in an app that supports it like Resolve (source: rec709 => destination: display profile, use LUT3D creator Displaycal app). It is not “system wide”, it’s limited for that app.

Also it is not “strictly” necessary: if content is an sRGB image or a Rec709 video you can use an image viewer (macOS apps although support is limited to idealized profiles, default is one of these) or a video player (mpv or variants with GUI) that supports color management.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS