Correction matrix for spyder 3

Home Forums Help and Support Correction matrix for spyder 3

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

arcman
    Participant

I don’t know which correction matrix should I use  when trying to calibrate my laptop’s panel which is  AUO B156HAN01.2 (IPS). I use spyder 3 colorimeter. When I set correction to auto no correction is used. From the drop-down list the only reasonable choice is “wide gamut ips display”. Should I use it or is there a way to import generic correction for laptop’s IPS screen ?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Is this a wide gamut panel? Otherwise, “Apple Cinema Display (white LED)” may be an option.

arcman
    Participant

It’s not a wide gamut. I will go with apple’s white led then. As I understand the better correction is the one that gives wider sRGB coverage after callibration?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

As I understand the better correction is the one that gives wider sRGB coverage after callibration?

No, that’s nonsense. The only way to really check whether or not a correction leads to a more accurate result, is with a higher accuracy instrument (i.e. spectrometer).

arcman
    Participant

When I set correction to apple’s white led i get 87% sRGB coverage after profiling. When correction is set to none I get 93% sRGB. Is it normal? Which profile should I set as default?

sblive
    Participant

As Florian said, it’s impossible to know without verification by a spectrometer or ultra high end colorimeter (5000+ USD).

Depending on which “direction” the corrections shift the raw measurement data and if that shift actually makes the readings more correct or less correct the result is either more or less correct 😉
    For a laptop 87% is “OK” and 93% is quite good, as most laptop screens (even IPS) are very bad. Good desktop monitors (IPS, 400+ USD ballpark) usually achieve above 98%. I think my Lenovo X240 FullHD IPS is just 80% (using spectro) and quite bad…

I guess you will find that you can’t really see much of a difference between the two profiles, just choose the one you like more, possibly as a compromise the brighter one (if one is) if you use your notebook in bright light/outdoor etc..

For super serious color critical work you would need a better display and spectro anyway – 99% sRGB and the means to verify/correct colorimeter. You can’t change the display obviously and buying a spectro (you can try finding a used i1pro for around 200 USD) would probably subjectively/visually not change very much, but would provide you with more measurement confidence – you would know more exactly how not-100% sRGB your display is 😉

arcman
    Participant

Sblive thank you for taking time to write such an elaborate answer. Actually that’s true – I can’t see much difference between this 2 profiles but I will go with the one that reports more sRGB coverage. As for changing LCD panel in laptop – I have actually done that (the laptop is lenovo P50) because previous panel was utter garbage.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS