Correcting oversaturation with PC Mode on Samsung HDR TV

Home Forums Help and Support Correcting oversaturation with PC Mode on Samsung HDR TV

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

SeeNoWeevil
    Participant

So I’m using a Samsung HDR TV in PC Mode on a PC. Now, in PC Mode, most of the display processing is disabled (for latency reasons) which also includes any kind of colourspace conversion. The display is locked into ‘native’ mode where all signals are expanded to the native (wide) colourspace. This results in SDR content being oversaturated. From my understanding, the only way I can correct this for fullscreen games is to generate a 3D Lut with something like DisplayCAL/colorimeter and then apply that with Reshade. Is this correct? Are there ways to achieve this without using some kind of injection? Can the same LUT be applied for games running in HDR mode? Is there any specific I need to look out for in terms of hardware to generate the LUT/any recommendations for hardware to start off with?

Thanks

Vincent
    Participant

So I’m using a Samsung HDR TV in PC Mode on a PC. Now, in PC Mode, most of the display processing is disabled (for latency reasons) which also includes any kind of colourspace conversion. The display is locked into ‘native’ mode where all signals are expanded to the native (wide) colourspace. This results in SDR content being oversaturated. From my understanding, the only way I can correct this for fullscreen games is to generate a 3D Lut with something like DisplayCAL/colorimeter and then apply that with Reshade. Is this correct?

TV custom color mode should give you access to some kind of RGB or RGBCMY saturation control. Move them the closest you can to Rec709 by measuring with spotread on these colors. If latency is not bad, you have it.
    You may apply DisplayCAL grey calibration if your games do not clean it on startup.

Are there ways to achieve this without using some kind of injection? Can the same LUT be applied for games running in HDR mode? Is there any specific I need to look out for in terms of hardware to generate the LUT/any recommendations for hardware to start off with?

Thanks

If EDID data is “close” to actual native primaries and you have an AMD card you can use its bundled sRGB emulation. On AMD control panel
    Configuration  / Display / Custom color
    Custom color on
    Control Color temperature off
    This should kick in sRGB emulation form display EDID data. It may be lost on reboot so you may need to enable it again.

I would try TV custom/user mode with RGBCMY saturation controls first, check if that latency issue bothers you. It may improve your TV respose for viewing TV shows too.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Vincent.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS