Convert ICCv4 profile into something usable?

Home Forums Help and Support Convert ICCv4 profile into something usable?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Florian Höch 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

CaptainTux
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I’m a hobby/semi-professional photographer who recently switched to Ubuntu and I have been looking for a solution to color-correct my display.

I’ve created an ICC profile for my display previously on Windows and kept the file, but I can’t use it anymore, since the DisplayCAL GUI displays an error because it can’t load ICCv4 profiles. Unfortunately, I also don’t have a color meter to create a new profile anymore at the moment.

Is there any way to convert my old file into anything usable by DisplayCAL or could I download another configuration to use for my display somewhere? (Not aiming for 100% accuracy, just better than the default settings.)

• This topic was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  CaptainTux.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

Is there any way to convert my old file into anything usable by DisplayCAL

Possibly. Attach the profile please.

CaptainTux
    Participant

Hi Florian,

thanks for your quick reply! I’ve attached the icc-profile for you, it’s from a Dell U2913WM monitor.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Attached a ICCv2 version of the profile.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

CaptainTux
    Participant

Hi Florian! Thank you so much, that actually works perfectly. You’re a hero! May I ask how you managed to convert that profile?

I also noticed that DisplayCAL wouldn’t let me use the profile without an attached color meter. Is that correct or did I do something wrong? I activated it via dispwin now and added it to my startup scripts.

Still, good to know that there is a program for color correction available. I should get a new color meter at some point anyway, can someone recommend a good, not too expensive/used model?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

May I ask how you managed to convert that profile?

This particular profile only required changing the version in the header and changing the description tag from MultiLocalizedUnicodeType into TextDescriptionType (despite the naming, the latter supports Unicode as well). Technically, the description tag was the only ICCv4-specific tag.

I also noticed that DisplayCAL wouldn’t let me use the profile without an attached color meter. Is that correct or did I do something wrong?

Depends what you mean by “use”. If you have no color meter, functionality is limited to displaying profile information and profile installation. If the profile has not been created by DisplayCAL, you can use “Install profile…” from the “File” menu.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Open Source Display Calibration