Contrast ratio reported as 1700:1 when it could be higher, spyder5 limitation?

Home Forums Help and Support Contrast ratio reported as 1700:1 when it could be higher, spyder5 limitation?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Isaac Barahona
    Participant

So I did some verification charts of my new profile and I noticed that the reported contrast ratio is around 1700:1 when it could be almost twice that amount(around 3000:1). My monitor uses a VA panel with a typical contrast ratio of 3000:1( though normally the contrast ratio of VA panels is even higher than that, around 4000:1). I want to know why, is it a spyder5 limitation? Or something else?

Something odd I’ve noticed about the charts is that the spyder5 couldn’t compute the correlated color temperature at 0% and it’s reported at around 15000K.

I attached the verification charts below and the icc profile used.

Thanks.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Where does the 3000:1 contrast figure come from? If that’s manufacturer (advertised) information, I’d take it with a grain of salt, even though it’s certainly not unheard of for VA panel displays (TVs with VA panels are usually between 3000:1-5000:1 static contrast without dynamic backlight dimming).

I want to know why, is it a spyder5 limitation?

Possibly. In my own experience with a single Spyder5, when it can read the black level, it tends to be slightly too high, and fluctuates quite a bit. On the other hand, when it can’t read the black level at all, a non-zero black level may be returned as zero.

Something odd I’ve noticed about the charts is that the spyder5 couldn’t compute the correlated color temperature at 0% and it’s reported at around 15000K

Relatively normal. The black point of many LCD panel displays is exceedingly purple in hue, and far away from the blackbody or daylight locus.

Isaac Barahona
    Participant

Thank you for your response Florian.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS