Contrast Ratio Help?

Home Forums Help and Support Contrast Ratio Help?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Everly
    Participant

Hello,

I’ve been calibrating my digital tablet pen display with the spyderX pro for color accuracy, and the tablet specs says it has a contrast ratio of 1000:1. I’ve been messing with the displaycal settings with no real guide on how to raise the ratio.  What settings should I adjust to get that ratio?

TABLET INFO: My tablet has 4 gamma modes, 1.8, 2.0, 2.2, and 2.4. I set it at 2.2. I honestly don’t know what type of screen it is, but I know it’s a wide-gamut display and I don’t think it’s an LCD. For some reason, I can’t adjust the contrast ratio, but I can adjust the brightness, color temperature, and color when using the User profile.

COMPUTER INFO IN RELATION: In the Intel graphics control panel, I have the HDMI settings set to Full instead of limited. I can adjust the color brightness and color contrast. I can only have the color depth set to 8-bit.

DisplayCal Settings: There are only 4 instrument mode options: <Generic><LCD White LED><LCD PFS Phosphor WLED, RGB LED><LCD GB-r-LED>. The only option for correction is Auto(None).

My recent calibrated report: Whatever settings I tried the ratio never when above 810:1

16:13:12,190 Current calibration response:
    16:13:12,190 Black level = 0.2090 cd/m^2
    16:13:12,190 50% level = 32.45 cd/m^2
    16:13:12,190 White level = 150.81 cd/m^2
    16:13:12,190 Aprox. gamma = 2.22
    16:13:12,190 Contrast ratio = 722:1
    16:13:12,190 White chromaticity coordinates 0.3041, 0.3192
    16:13:12,190 White Correlated Color Temperature = 7108K, DE 2K to locus = 3.8
    16:13:12,190 White Correlated Daylight Temperature = 7112K, DE 2K to locus = 1.0
    16:13:12,190 White Visual Color Temperature = 6935K, DE 2K to locus = 3.6
    16:13:12,190 White Visual Daylight Temperature = 7155K, DE 2K to locus = 0.9

For color accuracy, I’d want to hit a color temperature of 6500K and a cd/m2 of below 140. This time I set the white point and black level to as measured. Would I be able to achieve that contrast ratio?

My recent displaycal settings are shown in the pictures.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Advertised contrast = native contrast = maximum ideal contrast = @ native white (whatever it is)

Fixing white means usieng RGB gains, lowering one or two channel (in usual RGB gain 0-100 range with 100 as default value), which reduces contrast by a little.

On wierd OSD that use RGB gain 0-100 with 50 default behavior is sligtly different and pusing a channel far beyond 50 may result in clipping for 230-240 onwards.
    Anyway, modify by lowering one or two channels. Also disable all “enhancements” on display like teh one from your screenshot.

800-900:1 @D65 seems a typical outcome for a nominal 1000:1 display with a bluish native white. ( 900-1000:1 native white – contrast loss byRGB gain)

Dadido3
    Participant

As the Spyder X is sensitive to how the light is polarized, it may report a different blackpoint and/or whitepoint depending on the angle you put it onto your display. You can experiment by putting a thin piece of white paper between the Spyder X and the display, which should remove the polarization from the light (But that may also remove too much light to give meaningful measurements). Or you could get another measurement device.

Another thing is that the measured color temperature of the Spyder X also changes with the rotation of the sensor on your display, so in the end you will not get the correct whitepoint of 6500K with confidence anyways. I would suggest you to just leave the display at its native white point to get the most contrast. Or you can visually match your display to another display, which still makes more sense than playing the “whitepoint lottery” with your Spyder X.

Other than that the Spyder X is good enough to measure the transfer function adequately and give you good neutral grays, so the colors will still be correct relative to whatever whitepoint you dialed in. But you can’t trust any whitepoint or any other absolute colors that the Spyder measures.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS