Confused wich settings to choose

Home Forums Help and Support Confused wich settings to choose

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Carrapice
    Participant

Hi all.

I´ve already posted in another thread my questions, but its awaiting moderation for about 1 day now, i guess its because the link from you tube i have inserted. If the mods could delete it, thanks.

Anyway my experience:

Started with DisplayCal about a week ago, my starting point was a video by Hardware Unboxed on you tube.

Now i have doubts about wich setting i should choose

Despite the video states i should choose srgb for any given monitor tecnology i still don`t fully understand what the other options exactly do or what are they for.

I have it all, crt, lcd and soon oled, so should i pick srgb even for oled?

I have:

Crt tv in an arcade machine

2 lcd 1080p+1 lcd 1360×768 on main rig

Led tv 1360×768 on htpc

My confusion is should i pick srgb for all? What does the other options do/differ. Could someone share some info on this subject or point me in the right direction?

Thanks for the software and help.

Best regards.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Carrapice.

Vincent
    Participant

I have it all, crt, lcd and soon oled, so should i pick srgb even for oled?

I have:

Crt tv in an arcade machine

2 lcd 1080p+1 lcd 1360×768 on main rig

Led tv 1360×768 on htpc

My confusion is should i pick srgb for all? What does the other options do/differ. Could someone share some info on this subject or point me in the right direction?

Thanks for the software and help.

Best regards.

IDNK what you want to do or what measurement devices you have.

For games and such on that OLED TV use CMS in TV to simulate sRGB/Rec709 primaries… and I’ll use CMS to set sRGB gamut manually rather that use am OSD preset. HCFR can be faster to do that that displaycal which is aimed to grey calibration & profiling. HCFR user ArgyllCMS code under the hood.

For color managed applications you can use full native gamut on each device, although OLED is very tricky due to ABL.

Carrapice
    Participant

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I´ve already figured out what those settings are all about, it`s kinda of a template/general settings.

And yes the calibration depends on what kind of monitor you have, learned that.

With the spyder 4 that i have i takes about 45 minutes to calibrate, so i have to choose wisely or else i`ll be calibrating all week, eheheh.

This guy on you tube, “Finite Tuning” has helped me a lot, he goes in deep explaning the settings, cannot post a link here or else this topic  will be “awaiting moderation”. But check it out, he as 2 videos each 1 hour long, very informative and funny.

Best regards.

Vincent
    Participant

This guy on you tube, “Finite Tuning” has helped me a lot, he goes in deep explaning the settings, cannot post a link here or else this topic  will be “awaiting moderation”. But check it out, he as 2 videos each 1 hour long, very informative and funny.

Best regards.

Seen it “fast way”, there are some mistakes.

When in validation, 1:20:xx, it is useless to select simulation profile. It is validating againts “1.icm”. Even if he chose to tick simulation profile it will be validation Photoshop behavior, not a “TV” non color managed mode.

Also sample run was done without colorimeter correction 1:21:xx, so those results are not real, specially on whitepoint.

On 2nd video he makes the same mistake. No correction, not validating actual TV behavior vs some known target. Low dE error (excluding WP) is because he is comparing against a very detailed taylor made XYZ LUT profile, not because display is behaving well. Also there may be some incompatibilities with those profiles and new color managed browsers, or even have no color management when playing youtube videos.

With these basic mistakes I did not find them informative at all, because these errors are the common errors we see here when somebody ask for help… just another potential source of missconfiguration fro non experienced users. But YMMV.

Anyway, keep this in mind when you calibrate and if you want to simulate Rec709 with your OLED, try HCFR.
    For non color managed apps like games on a widegamut displays you may want to try LeDoge’s DWM LUT:
    https://github.com/ledoge/dwm_lut

Carrapice
    Participant

Hi.

I`ve found them informative because he explains what each setting does in the various tabs of displaycal.

About the mistakes you mentioned, i`ll have to rewatch those videos again.

Best regards.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS