Confused about calibration for gaming / 3d lut ?

Home Forums Help and Support Confused about calibration for gaming / 3d lut ?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

t.blomdahl
    Participant

Good Morning,

I am a tech who is all new to the calibration side of things.  I have a Windows 10 PC ,  a GTX 1070  with Dell U3011 IPS display that I want to calibrate primarily for gaming.

What I have done so far is use a Colormunki Photo with the vendor supplied software to calibrate SRGB mode to 80CDM D65.

I also use Color Profile Keeper to assist with the profile remaining applied when starting full screen games.  This seems to be working, but not 100% sure it is working all the time for all games.

I thought this was all I had to do to get the best quality results, however after reading up on DisplayCAL, I see there was something mentioned regarding Reshade and 3D Luts.  I am not sure what 3D Lut is for.

I am curious what is the difference between what I currently have profiled, and whether or not I would see any improvement in pursuing the DisplayCAL and Reshade/3D Lut method.

Also, does the DisplayCAL profile loader serve the same function as Color Profile Keeper?

Thanks for any input!

• This topic was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by t.blomdahl.
    • This topic was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by t.blomdahl.

Calibrite ColorChecker Studio on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

I also use Color Profile Keeper to assist with the profile remaining applied when starting full screen games. This seems to be working, but not 100% sure it is working all the time for all games.

Games can override the videoLUT in fullscreen exclusive mode.

I thought this was all I had to do to get the best quality results, however after reading up on DisplayCAL, I see there was something mentioned regarding Reshade and 3D Luts. I am not sure what 3D Lut is for.

A 3D LUT is for full color correction. Calibration (video 1D LUT) is only for whitepoint/grayscale and tone response.

Also, does the DisplayCAL profile loader serve the same function as Color Profile Keeper?

It works slightly differently, but has the same functionality.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS