Conflicting results between DisplayCAL and ColorChecker

Home Forums Help and Support Conflicting results between DisplayCAL and ColorChecker

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I calibrated monitor to BT1886 Gamma 2.4, and loaded the calibration system-wide. DisplayCAL Verification report shows all is good with Avg Delta 0.21, Max 1.48.

Then I ran ColorChecker, selected BT1886 gamma, Rec709, and it says Avg Delta 4.3, Max 9.1.

Where did this go wrong?

Vincent
    Participant

Your display is configured to use Full native gamut (much bigger than sRGB/Rec709) and calibrated to Rec1886 2.4 gamma.
    That test you run expects that your display is configured to Rec709 gamut Rec1886 2.4 gamma.

The missing piece in your puzzle is color management.

Read my answer in:

DaVinci Resolve – Create 3D Lut for GUI Color Viewer

If you want  your display to pass that test you have several choices:

-configure CalMAN to use Resolve/madVR output (if it can), create a LUT3D for Resolve/madVR form your current display profile, make sure that Resolve/madVR uses it.

-calibrate to Rec709 2.4 with Dell software in one of your CALx slots. Test it with DisplayCAL, correct it with DIsplayCAL if it is not as good as you want.

-calibrate to Rec709 2.4 the sRGB factory mode with DisplayCAL.

-calibrate to Rec709 2.4 Custom Color mode using 6axis controls. You can use CalMAN or HCFR to get near Rec709 gamut first with 6axis controls, then run DisplayCAL to gte accurate 2.4 gamma.

Choose the one you like most. If you have an i1DisplayPro my advice will be to use the 2nd option.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Vincent.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Willian Aleman
    Participant

If the display has the same setting (full native gamut) and the target color space in both applications is the same, I really don’t understand Mr. Vincent explanation to the  extreme differences shown in the results between the two applications .

I would like to hear a further explanation on the subject.

Thanks in advance .

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Vincent is correct. CalMAN doesn’t use color management and ignores the display profile.

Willian Aleman
    Participant

Florian,  thanks for the prompt response and clarification .

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS