completely wrong colours after calibration

Home Forums Help and Support completely wrong colours after calibration

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

pattex99
    Participant

I have two Monitors a LG27UD69 and a Eizo cx270. I have calibrated both monitors with DisplayCAL and a Spyder5 measuring device. While it seems that the LG displays the correct colours after the calibration the colours of the eizo are completely wrong. Even a colour bilnd person should see that the colours are far too much yellow and green. I had allready a lot of calibrations all with the same results. Now i have given it up and i have set the Eizo manually. What could be the reason for the wrong result?

Vincent
    Participant

the colours of the eizo are completely wrong

What do you call “wrong”? Saturated colors?
    It seems that this LG is a sRGB WLED Monitor.
    CX270 is a Widegamut LED… of course it will look to much saturated in non color managed enviroments! It’s a widegamut, it’s meant to do that. It’s native “R” (255,0,0) and its native “G” (0,255,0) are meant to be far from their R and G counterparts in sRGB.
    Compare this two monitors in a color managed enviroment showing the same sRGB image and they may look closer.
    If they look the same, you are done. Learn a few basics about working with profiles to avoid other similar problems in the future and all should go more or less OK.

But, if you are using your CX270 in it’s sRGB mode (or in whatever widegamut configuration in a color managed enviroment) and you are talking about whitepoint  when you say “too much yellow and green“, you must make sure that for colorimeter readings you are ussing the proper correction for that colorimeter.
    Although Spyder4/5 have corrections for WLED (sRGB LED like your LG) it has not a bundled correction suitable for displays like that CX. You could try to use one of the GBLED-like corrections from DisplayCAL database: CS240,CS2420,CX240,CS2730,CG277…etc Event Dell or NEC counterparts. Their backlight is almost the same.

As an alternative to that , try Color Navigator (CN), the HW calibration program for your Eizo, and whatever embebed correction it has for Spyder5 and Eizo’s GBLED.

If using those corrections does not work (and they are likely to do no work for a Spyder) then blame your Spyder5.  It’s an inaccurate device that cannot read properly those GB-LED like widegamuts and it suffers from poor inter-instrument agreement (so no possible “generic correction”).
    A LuLa guy tested a few of these Datacolor devices and a few xrite i1d3s vs a high end spectrophotometer measuring a GB-LED NEC PA (almost equal backlight to your CX). Spyders measured too far away from actual whitepoint and each spyder measured too far from his brother: useless devices.
    So if all these alternatives fail, buy an Xrite i1DisplayPro (i1d3) or better device. CN won’t work with cheaper Color Munki Display so you should go for the expensive one, otherwise you’ll waste the HW calibration features from your CX.
    It should have been your first and only choice: avoid spyders and go for an i1d3, there is no real alternative.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

pattex99
    Participant

Thank you for your fast answer!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS