Color mismatch between programs – Help?

Home Forums Help and Support Color mismatch between programs – Help?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

philB
    Participant

Simple problem…..

I have wide gamut monitors and using Dispcal to profile/calibrate my monitors.

I edit photos in Photoshop and a few other programs. I keep things sRGB in terms of working space, proofing, and profiles for jpegs. However, I seem to get two results depending on which program I view the jpegs with.  Fastone viewer (my preferred viewer) gives oversaturated results. If i change my proofing profile to RGB in photoshop I get similar results. However, the image if a sRGB profile. I don’t get the problem with windows photo viewer.

I would like Fastone to show me the sRGB result I see in Photoshop. I’m not sure what the problem is. Any help would be appreciated.

see images…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

betazoid
    Participant

I think you will not see correct colors with either Faststone Viewer or Win 10 Photos app. As far as I know Faststone is ignoring the screen profile, it has no real color managment. You will never get the same colors in Faststone as in PS. The Win 10 Photos app does not do color managment at all.
    I used to like Faststone, too, you can use it for just quickly checking photos, but it does not show you the real colors, unless you have a screen that was calibrated to sRGB by the manufacturer, i.e. where you do not need color management as long as you stay in sRGB.
    The old Windows photo viewer, however, can do color management. As far as I can see on your screenshot PS and Windows Photo Viewer (old) are showing the right colors. The other programs do not do color managment and therefore show oversaturated colors. I think Faststone assumes that your sreen is sRGB.
    I would suggest that you try IrfanView (with plugins) and/or XnView instead.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by betazoid.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The old Windows photo viewer, however, can do color management.

It will only use the matrix tags (if present) of cLUT profiles though.

philB
    Participant

Thanks for the help guys!!

I switched to XnView loaded the ICM profile from my calibration into the color management tab and now the colors are very very close..

There is a minute difference. Not a problem at all. I’m guessing this is because Dispcal uses a higher quality 3d lut where Xn only usees an ICC profile?

I think i was operating under the misunderstanding that Dispcal management would color manage everything. I was thinking it essentially color managed the entire visual signal coming from the video card, like a lens sitting between the output and the screen. I guess that analogy was wrong afterall.

Either way very happy to have this solved. Thanks again!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS