Color mismatch between iMac 5K and MacBook Pro Retina

Home Forums Help and Support Color mismatch between iMac 5K and MacBook Pro Retina

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

OctateZero
    Participant

First of all, thank you for the great software package.

I recently purchased a current model 27″ iMac 5K and a last-gen 13″ MacBook Pro with Retina display. I’m trying to get accurate color from each, but also to have them match each other when they’re side by side on my desk.

I’ve calibrated both to 6500K with an i1 Display Pro, using the RG Phosphor correction for the iMac 5K and the White LED IPS correction for the MacBook Pro.

The end result is a great improvement for both, but the iMac consistently has a greener cast than the MacBook. I’m not sure which is accurate, but it persists through multiple recalibrations (and also when I tried an old Spyder4 I had on hand).

What is the best method to adjust the two closer to each other? I’ve attached a compressed archive from each. Thanks.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by OctateZero. Reason: Attached compressed archives
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

OctateZero
    Participant

Update: I manually set the white point on each with Chromaticity coordinates to match visually, but I feel like that’s defeating the purpose of calibrating. Is this the right way to do it?

(also – sorry for posting this in General. Not sure how that happened.)

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I manually set the white point on each with Chromaticity coordinates to match visually, but I feel like that’s defeating the purpose of calibrating. Is this the right way to do it?

Yes, that is the right way to do it, and no, it doesn’t defeat the point of calibration, because colors will still be corrected in relation to the whitepoint, and a visual match is of higher importance than doing the whitepoint purely by numbers.

also – sorry for posting this in General. Not sure how that happened

Not a problem at all. Moved to Help & Support.

OctateZero
    Participant

Thanks again — I ended up matching both white points to my iPhone (the third screen I stare at all day) and the calibration of both went beautifully.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS