Color clipping on dark colors?

Home Forums Help and Support Color clipping on dark colors?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Kerry Jones
    Participant

I’m using a Spyder 4 on a Samsung 32inch monitor — I was using default software but just switched to DisplayCal after seeing a bunch of reviews — but now I’m getting some pretty severe color clipping:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/z0o5yyh1bxt1pq5/Screenshot%202017-07-23%2016.51.57.png?dl=0

I’ve also attached a color profile.

I’m very new to this — always been using default settings if I can. Any advice?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

It looks like your Spyder4 is struggling to read black and near black on your TV accurately. Try creating a single curve + matrix profile from the existing one (enable advanced options in the options menu, set profile type on the “Profiling” tab, then choose “Create profile from measurement data…” from the “File” menu and select the existing profile).

Kerry Jones
    Participant

Hey! Thanks for responding.

I did that, had it replace my current profile, but no change — same problem. I can reupload here — though I’m using a high-quality monitor, not a TV, unsure if that makes a difference?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I did that, had it replace my current profile, but no change — same problem.

That doesn’t seem like an issue with the profile then.

Kerry Jones
    Participant

It was working completely fine before I was using DisplayCal, and now it’s not. That would indicate it’s a problem with the profile, right?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

It was working completely fine before I was using DisplayCal, and now it’s not. That would indicate it’s a problem with the profile, right?

This does not seem related to the profile though, because the only “issue” I can identify with the profile (which isn’t really an issue of the profile) is that the Spyder4 measured a black point and near black response that is quite reddish, probably due to inherent instrument inaccuracy (LCD black points are usually blueish).

The problem I see in the above screenshot is bad posterization, which could have a number of causes. Without a look at the unaltered original photo, and the exact alterations made to it afterwards, it’s hard to draw any conclusions.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS