Color Banding

Home Forums Help and Support Color Banding

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Kristopher Kennedy
    Participant

Hello and thank you for the great program. I am using a Spyder5 with Display Cal and calibrating a Acer Predator Z35P monitor. This is a purely gaming setup and I am trying to get the best calibration possible but for the life of me I can not get rid of the color banding. I do understand the limitations of an 8 bit panel but it just seems like the banding is excessive. After calibration the colors are greatly improved but the banding is still there. I am hoping there are some settings I am just missing or some light someone can shed on this.

I run my games in a fullscreen window to keep the profile active, otherwise fullscreen completely ignores the calibration. Am I still making full use of the profile this way or is the game still somehow overriding something and creating conflicting results? Would I be better off using the 6-axis in the monitor OSD and if so, is that something I can use the Spyder5 and displaycal?

Thanks,

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Kristopher Kennedy
    Participant

Crazy what reading the FAQ and the read me can do!

So I went to Tools-Report- Report on Uncalibrated Monitor and found that when my monitor OSD is set to 2.2 Gamma, its actually at 1.9 and setting the OSD to 2.5 reports at 2.2. Upon calibrating again it looks considerably better. Even the colors look better.

The banding in most of my games is almost completely gone but Destiny 2 still looks like garbage. I am curious if the sky box in that particular game just has too many colors for an 8 bit panel to show correctly.  I get crazy banding in the greens especially.  I am re-installing the game to see if it helps as I do move my computer between my desk and my home cinema setup with a 75″ 4k HDR10 tv, maybe some HDR settings in Destiny is sticking.

I would still love to hear if there are any settings I can change in DisplayCal for a better calibration.

Thank you.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Settings look fine. The Destiny banding problem is likely due to limited bitdepth processing in-game, so not really anything can be done about it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS