Cintiq 27 QHD Touch not getting advertised Adobe RGB coverage

Home Forums Help and Support Cintiq 27 QHD Touch not getting advertised Adobe RGB coverage

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Dylan
    Participant

Hello all! New here and extremely new to color calibration!

Just got my wife a DataColor Spyderx Pro as a gift for her Cintiq 27 QHDT monitor.  She does a lot of digital artwork and character design with a program called PaintTool SAI and the last version of Adobe released before it went subscription based. The manufacturer advertises a Adobe RGB coverage of 97% and after I used the Spyderx to calibrate her display it showed it was only getting 86% of Adobe RGB , 97% sRGB, 86% P3, and 81% NTSC.  So there seems to be a big gap between the advertised Adobe RGB and the actual. According to the graph the spyderx gave it looked like mostly greens that it wasnt performing as expected in. I’m  not sure where the problem lies or if it is even a problem at all for her workflow since she actually doesn’t use adobe that often and is usually hand drawing stuff with her other program. When she does do commissions she isn’t ever dealing with having to print stuff herself as its all done via the internet. She is mostly a hobby artist.

Some specs and settings used

Cintiq 27QHDT

Nvidia RTX 3060 connected via Display Port as recommended by the monitor manufacturer.

Datacolor Spyderx Pro

Gpu is set to use 10 bit color in nvida settings

Monitor is set for Adobe RGB colorspace, has options for sRGB, REC 709, and DCI

Gamma is at 2.2

Colortemp is set to 6500k as recommended by the spyderx during calibration

brightness is set to 200 cd/m2 as recommended by spyderx during calibration based on the current room lighting

The monitor also had a Uniformity Compensation setting (not sure what this does)  that I set to off as it was limiting the brightness to 166 cd/m2 at max and I needed it higher for calibration.

So is there some setting I need to change to achieve a better score in adobe? It is annoying that isn’t scoring as high as it should so is it the Spyderx itself? Is 97% sRGB and 86% adobe good enough for her workflow? Does the color degrade over time? She has had the monitor for a number of years now. About 4 or 5 I think. Perhaps I’m overthinking things here and these are acceptable/good numbers but I’m not sure since I’m not an artist of any sort so I’m posting here for a second opinion or advice on how to improve the score.

Thanks in advance for your time!!

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

a 4-5 y monitor shoudl be some widegamut LED, not old widegamut CCFL from 2010s.
    Colorimeters need a correcion for each LED technology (for each spectral power distribution) sine at that price they are not a perfect match for CIE std observer (1931 2degree). SPyderX has a limited set of cotrrections and thre is no way to update/upgrade it wityhout an spectrophotometer (450-1500 euro for the cheaper ones).

You jumped in the wrong boat with your present, you bought the bad one. You should have boung an i1DIsplaypro (new called calibrite colorchecker display pro, 260 euro) that can be upgraded for new backlight in a distributed way, just by sombody sharing the spectral power distribution of his display.

There is no user made correction for Cintiq 27 (https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/) although the newer 16″ (shared CCSS) seems to be  WLED PFS phosphor in a weird configuration with sRGB red and close to P3 green.

Anyway: Make sure that using DisplayCAL you choose the closest mode for Spyder for these widgeamut led: gb-led, or w-LED PFS phosphor. “White led” alone means blu eled + yellow phosphor = sRGB colorspace.

Also try to set display to native gamut, if possible, to avoid factory calibration wrong doings.

Once this is double checked calibrate again.

Once you have calibrated grey with DisplayCAL (or with Wacom app if it has HW calibration and spyderX is supported), validate profile with DisplayCAL (all options OFF). It it validates OK, display and display profile match and that display coudl be trusted to show in gamut colors.
    To validate which colors in AdobeRGB your display cannot show, validte again with simulation profile AdoberGB buet DO NOT choose use simulation profile as display profile. This test will show how a display performs while showing AdobeRGB content in photoshop.
    To validate factory calibration to certain colorspace (out of the box testing), choose colorspace on display, then validte in DisplayCAL with simulatin profile + use simulation profile as displya profile.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS