Chrome 61 – washed out colors and banding

Home Forums Help and Support Chrome 61 – washed out colors and banding

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Gil
    Participant

Hi guys,

I updated Chrome to version 61 and came across this issue as well. I reported it here: https://productforums.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!msg/chrome/bWBDLFtbhEs/ixyERU8eBAAJ look at the last post as well.

My monitor is Dell U2412M. I use i1 Display Pro with DispcalGUI.

The description of ‘washed out colours’ are exactly as I experience it.

My question is: what can we do about it? if it’s not a DispcalGUI issue, is it a Chrome issue then? Aside from changing the Chrome flag to Disable, what is it that we can help to push for a decent resolution of this issue?

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Gil
    Participant

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Aside from changing the Chrome flag to Disable, what is it that we can help to push for a decent resolution of this issue?

Just be patient and wait for changes to manifest themselves in Chrome.

Gil
    Participant

Will do, but are you so sure they’ll listen and implement changes? 🙂

GonzagueGB
    Participant

Well, try this, it worked for me.

In address bar type: chrome://flags

Find “Color correct rendering”. Disable it.

Restart browser.

PS Sorry, didn’t notice answer earlier. Good luck!

THANK YOU! Since this morning and after High Sierra Install and Google Chrome last update (Version 61.0.3163.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)) I had the same problem and your suggestion just fixed my issue!!!!

Note this message was supposed to be sent to :

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by GonzagueGB.

Eric
    Participant

Hello all,

FWIW, when I tried generating ICC profile using an older version of DisplayCAL (3.2.4.0), the problem also disappears. When I reload ICC profiles created by version 3.3.4.0 (using Profile Loader of version 3.2.4.0), the problem appears.

Profile quality settings were the same for both cases (High, S XYZLUT + MTX).

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Please don’t post incorrect or misleading information. The profile loader which deals solely with the loading of the 1D calibration curves from the associated display profiles has absolutely nothing to do with this Chrome issue at all.

Eric
    Participant

Please don’t post incorrect or misleading information. The profile loader which deals solely with the loading of the 1D calibration curves from the associated display profiles has absolutely nothing to do with this Chrome issue at all.

Hello Florian,

My mistake, in my post above, “3.3.4.0” should read “3.3.3.0”. I agree that it’s not the profile loader, since the 3.3.3.0 profiles also result in banding when loaded by Windows Color Management.

Anyway, everything seems to be okay now with 3.3.4.0, whether using Profile Loader or Windows Color Management.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

DmCR
    Participant

Hi guys, i have the same issue.

In version 61.x setting the flag “#enable-color-correct-rendering” to “disable” completely solved the problem for me.
    In version 62.x this option has been removed and this problem is returned again. The new “#force-color-profile” flag does not solve this problem, it forces the common sRGB profile to be used by default, rather than the calibrated display profile. Maybe i’m wrong, but with this option, colors are identical to the colors of a non-calibrated monitor. This can be seen on gradients, in shadows and other details.

Firefox, IE, Edge, Vivaldi (not lastest version), graphics software and other work identically correct.

I understand that this is not DisplayCAL bug, but the chromium team says that this is a new feature and now chrome works correctly…
    Maybe someone found a workaround for this problem or all that remains now is to change the browser to non-chromium based?

Gil
    Participant

yeah, same issue here… I don’t think I can switch to a different browser. All my settings and bookmarks and chrome extensions are exactly as I need them. FF browser doesn’t have the extension I need for my daily work.

DmCR
    Participant

I found this issue in the Chromium bug tracker for version 62: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=775886

Innocent Passerby
    Participant

FYI:

in Chrome 63 there is no “Color correct rendering” flag, but there is one called “Force color profile”.

Here this can be set to “Default”, “sRGB”, “Display P3 D65”, “Color spin with Gamma 2.4” or “scRGB linear (HDR where available)”.

For me the Default setting caused e.g. Google maps to show off colour green and blue, setting it to sRGB brought it in line with other browsers (Firefox, Opera).

(Kubuntu Linux 14.04, Lenovo LEN LT2423wC monitor)

MW
    Participant

FYI:

in Chrome 63 there is no “Color correct rendering” flag, but there is one called “Force color profile”.

Here this can be set to “Default”, “sRGB”, “Display P3 D65”, “Color spin with Gamma 2.4” or “scRGB linear (HDR where available)”.

For me the Default setting caused e.g. Google maps to show off colour green and blue, setting it to sRGB brought it in line with other browsers (Firefox, Opera).

(Kubuntu Linux 14.04, Lenovo LEN LT2423wC monitor)

Thanks for sharing. This is the fix I’m using for now. It’s a dirty hack however as it’s ignoring your display profile and assuming a sRGB display. If this is unacceptable an alternate solution is disabling hardware acceleration.

Case
    Participant

If this is unacceptable an alternate solution is disabling hardware acceleration.

According to a Chromium dev, they don’t do any color management when HW acceleration is disabled, so not really an alternative to forcing sRGB, just a different way of doing the same thing.

A kind of solution, at least in my case, is to only use single curve color profile. In that case, Chromium (or any Chrome-based browser, really, as my main browser is Vivaldi) seems to color manage correctly with HW acceleration enabled. But as soon as you use 3xcurves or XYZLUT, dark tones get too bright in Chromium.

See my more comprehensive comment about my issues with Chromium and color management here (also includes the response from the dev mentioned above):

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=825578#c14

Jared
    Participant

I’m relying on Force color profile: sRGB for the time being also. Firefox’s color management was accurate but I’m dependent on Chrome across multiple platforms.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS