Chrome 61 – washed out colors and banding

Home Forums Help and Support Chrome 61 – washed out colors and banding

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Daniel1
    Participant

Hello,

since the update to Chrome 61 today i have washed out colors on Websites (for example Twitch, the purple on the top is washed out) and heavy color Banding like on the displaycal websites the blue background shows heavy Banding.

I’m using the latest DisplayCAL 3.3.3 with Profile Loader and the latest Nvidia drivers 385.41 on latest Windows 10 Home x64.

Nothing has changed software-wise only the update to Chrome 61, Chrome 60 worked without problems like every version prior.

I’m guessing there is a problem with the Profile Loader on Chrome 61 but I’m not sure.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Daniel1
    Participant

Since there is no edit button, I have an update:

After a fresh clean install of Chrome 61 the issue is still there.

ccameron chromium
    Participant

This is being tracked at https://crbug.com/762222

Chrome is now behaving the same way that EOG and gimp (when gimp has color correct output enabled) behave. In particular, it is producing output in the color space specified by the _ICC_PROFILE atom.

The issue is that DisplayCAL is setting the _ICC_PROFILE atom and (at least on some platforms), then performing an additional step to apply a sRGB-to-profile conversion on the output. This results in content being converted twice.

This can be worked around by any of the following mechanisms:

• Set the _ICC_PROFILE atom to sRGB by running “xicc /usr/share/color/icc/colord/sRGB.icc”
    • Remove the _ICC_PROFILE atom by running “xprop -root -remove _ICC_PROFILE”
    • Disable color correct rendering in chrome://flags. Note that this option will go away in Chrome 62 (though an option to force Chrome to output sRGB may take its place).

If you have any further input on this issue, please add a comment to the crbug.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The issue is that DisplayCAL is setting the _ICC_PROFILE atom and (at least on some platforms), then performing an additional step to apply a sRGB-to-profile conversion on the output. This results in content being converted twice.

Don’t quickly jump to wrong conclusions. Consult the DisplayCAL and ArgyllCMS documentation for the difference of calibration vs characterization and how they (usually) go hand in hand.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

since the update to Chrome 61 today i have washed out colors on Websites (for example Twitch, the purple on the top is washed out) and heavy color Banding like on the displaycal websites the blue background shows heavy Banding.

Not sure if you’re the original reporter on the Chromium bug report, but in case you are, you are using a wide gamut display and your color managed (sRGB) colors are not “washed out”, they are now accurately displayed with the intended saturation.

The display from the bug report is a laptop display, and needs a relatively strong correction on the neutral axis. Doing this in 8 bit, and the display then being (probably) 6 bit + dithering, leads to increased banding.

ccameron chromium
    Participant

Thanks for the correction.

Daniel1
    Participant

Not sure if you’re the original reporter on the Chromium bug report, but in case you are, you are using a wide gamut display and your color managed (sRGB) colors are not “washed out”, they are now accurately displayed with the intended saturation.

The display from the bug report is a laptop display, and needs a relatively strong correction on the neutral axis. Doing this in 8 bit, and the display then being (probably) 6 bit + dithering, leads to increased banding.

No, I’m not the one from the Chromium Bug Report. I was searching google for that quite a bit and haven’t been able to find this Bug Report, 1st time reading it (looks like google can’t find stuff on its own sites :D).

I have a Benq XL2420G connected via Displayport for G-Sync compatibility, and the Display is sRGB.

Disabling color correct rendering in chrome://flags solved the issue for me. But if this option is going to disappear with Chrome 62 how is it really solved? Is it an issue of Chrome, DisplayCal or both?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

No, I’m not the one from the Chromium Bug Report. […] I have a Benq XL2420G

My banding comment does still apply though because that display has a TN panel (usually 6 bit + dither). For the washed out colors, I’m also pretty sure that it’s about wrong expectations, but attach your profile please (in DisplayCAL next to settings, click “Create compressed archive…”).

Daniel1
    Participant

No, I’m not the one from the Chromium Bug Report. […] I have a Benq XL2420G

My banding comment does still apply though because that display has a TN panel (usually 6 bit + dither). For the washed out colors, I’m also pretty sure that it’s about wrong expectations, but attach your profile please (in DisplayCAL next to settings, click “Create compressed archive…”).

I’m using DisplayCal and ReShade (for gaming) on my Display for years now and I have gained quite a good eye for colors.

As I said before this issue has not happened with any Chrome Version prior to 61, it worked correctly before (I have a Macbook Pro Retina as 2nd Display for comparison). And the washed out colors and banding are quite extreme with Chrome 61, thats why I immediately looked to solve it.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The problem is not related to Chrome or the profile, that much I can tell you. But the display has a very unusual native response that looks similar to the DICOM curve used in medical imaging (with a very high midpoint gamma around 3.4). This means it needs a strong correction (brightening) of the midtones to reach the much lower 2.2 gamma. The native (uncorrected) display response greatly increases color contrast due to the native response having such a high gamma. The corrected response is much less contrasty.

Daniel1
    Participant

The problem is not related to Chrome or the profile, that much I can tell you. But the display has a very unusual native response that looks similar to the DICOM curve used in medical imaging (with a very high midpoint gamma around 3.4). This means it needs a strong correction (brightening) of the midtones to reach the much lower 2.2 gamma. The native (uncorrected) display response greatly increases color contrast due to the native response having such a high gamma. The corrected response is much less contrasty.

Yeah I know it needs strong correction, the Display is kinda unique because it has 2 different electronic circuits for standard mode and G-Sync Mode (it has a 1st gen G-Sync Module which only has 1 input and the display has additional inputs), and in G-Sync Mode the only options available are only 4 preset picture profiles to choose from as a starting point, I used the preset which had the most accurate colors out of the box.

For now the workaround with the Chrome flag works, I hope it gets sorted out before Chrome 62 releases without that flag. According to the Chromium Bug Report I am not the only one experiencing a vastly different image after Chrome 61.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

According to the Chromium Bug Report I am not the only one experiencing a vastly different image after Chrome 61.

The reporter of that bug had his expectations not set straight, and the bug report itself is bogus. In your case, it’s about the same – the result you’re getting is the expected one, and there is nothing wrong other than you being used to the much too contrasty colors of the uncorrected display. There is no chrome bug related to how the colors look, as far as I can tell.

AuRiMaS666
    Participant

I don’t really have much to add to what has already been said, but I thought I will share my experience with this same problem.

Immediately after the latest update I noticed that website and UI rendering became a little strange with pale colours and transparent layers all around the page elements. Used the flags trick to disable colour correction and all went back to normal and matches other browsers as well.

DisplayCAL

Youtube

Florian Höch
    Administrator

That looks like a rendering bug. The latest updates to the referenced Chromium bug report also seem to indicate that there are a few quirks that need ironing out.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, try this, it worked for me.

In address bar type: chrome://flags

Find “Color correct rendering”. Disable it.

Restart browser.

PS Sorry, didn’t notice answer earlier. Good luck!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS