Changes to 3.2

Home Forums Help and Support Changes to 3.2

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Steve Smith
    Participant

Hi Florian

Thank you for making interesting changes to DisplayCal! I look forward to trying them out.

I am curious to know if you feel that your changes will make a significant difference to the way I calibrate. ie. the quality of the final output.

XYZ LUT+Matrix … @ 6500K, 2.2, 120 – (11,000 patches with longest calibration) Using CIECAM02 (Perceptual, Luminance Matched, Darkened environment.

I know the final computations will be faster, but what about the visual outcome…Any better? … Worth recalibrating? … Although, I can’t emagine it looking that much better… My results are truly outstanding as is! … Evert time I look at photos on my monitor today, I am amazed! … This has never happened to me before, ever!

Thanks. 🙂

• This topic was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Steve Smith.
    • This topic was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Steve Smith.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I am curious to know if you feel that your changes will make a significant difference to the way I calibrate. ie. the quality of the final output […] XYZ LUT+Matrix

Note that the changes only affect the fallback matrix of the XYZ LUT+matrix profile. properly color managed applications won’t use it.

Steve Smith
    Participant

Thanks… So does this mean that things like the Windows Desktop (ie, thumbnails in the windows explorer) and other non-managed applications will now be color managed and calibrated?

What is the “Fall back matrix”?  …  Does fall back include calibration and color portions of the .icc file, or is the color portion only used by color managed apps?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So does this mean that things like the Windows Desktop (ie, thumbnails in the windows explorer) and other non-managed applications will now be color managed

No.

What is the “Fall back matrix”?

XYZ LUT + matrix profiles have the XYZ LUT (hence the name) which is usually a 33x33x33 color lookup table, plus a matrix element (3×3) that some dodgy applications that purport to be color managed – but aren’t fully and won’t use the cLUT – may fall back on (Windows 7 photo viewer comes to mind).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS