CCSS creation (and EDR conversion)

Home Forums General Discussion CCSS creation (and EDR conversion)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

borez
    Participant

Hi all,

Would like to seek some help on CCSS and EDRs. I’ve switched to another monitor (Viewsonic VP2785-4K) and am getting imperfect white point with the supplied app (rebranded i1Profiler). Calibrated display is too warm. Have got access to both an i1Pro2 and i1Display Pro Plus.

Got a few questions:

1) I did a CCSS plot, see attached. Based on this, this would be a QLED type of display panel (and not PFS Phosphor?)

2) The supplied i1Profiler software is picking up “White LED” calibration matrix, which is likely causing the WP shifts. Have converted my CCCS to EDR (using ccss2edr on Github), and did a drop-swap. However the software crashes when I start profiling. Have attached the converted EDR, wonder if anyone could provide suggestions/take a look? Read the CS2731 thread and hex-editing is out of my league. Alternatively, appreciate if anyone could suggest suitable EDR profiles as drop-in replacements.

3) Should all else fail, should I do a hardware calibration with the i1Pro2 (eliminating EDR requirements), and then do a software calibration/profiling using DisplayCAL (with the i13D)?

Many thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display Plus HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

borez
    Participant

And so, turns out that Viewsonic has two different apps (don’t ask me why, with the same underlying X-rite backend). The other app (Colorbration+) was updated a few days ago.

The other app (Colorbration+) accepted the modified EDR without any complaints but I am still getting a warmer WP. See attached DisplayCAL measurement report – measured WP shows around 6200K and there is a warmer cast.

Pretty close to throwing in the towel (and to do a software calibration overlay), but wonder if there are any solutions to get a perfectly h/w calibrated display.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by borez.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by borez.
    Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant
    1. Looks like a GB-LED, maybe a bit narrower in red than U2413/PA242W sample but looks like GB-LED
    2. You should swap RG_Phosphor EDR but AFAIK it was bundled in Viewsonic Colorbration software. Maybe you are using newer Viewsonic software instead of older oe thta looks like i1Profiler.
    3. Yes, you can do it but in darker end on greyscale may get some unwanted results, inspect a non color managed gradient after calibration. Better to swap to GB-LED EDR

Also there are several sources of error different that EDR choice. mostly oversimplifications in calibration process or after calibration brightness rise/drop (not by you but done by app)
    Eaasy to spot if it is an EDR error. In displaycal report using the same EDR/CCSS as in colorbration sftware check “profile whitepoint vs measured whitepoint”. If it is a match… it is not related to EDR, it is related to oversimplification sin Colrobration software by Viesonic… hence unsolvable unless you choose to correct whitepoint by GPU calibration (banding unless GPU has dithering and high bitdepth LUTs

Vincent
    Participant

Regarding your 2nd message, profile WP and measured WP drifts too much => reset Viewsonic EDR to original values or swap with RG_phosphor EDR.

Even with that there must be some user error since according colorbration software your target WP is ~9000K. Keep in mind that “Native” in that vendor calibration software may mean “native gamut and native WP”, not “native gamut and D65”.  Check viewsonic manual.
    If that is happening choose custom xy primaries, set values xy for R,G & B primaries from EDID/vendor driver ICM, then set D65 or your desired white. Calibrate , then validate with DisplayCAL.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Vincent.

borez
    Participant

Many thanks Vincent for your kind assistance as always. I’ve finally resolved the issue, but to document this for other users:

1. Looks like a GB-LED, maybe a bit narrower in red than U2413/PA242W sample but looks like GB-LED
    2. You should swap RG_Phosphor EDR but AFAIK it was bundled in Viewsonic Colorbration software. Maybe you are using newer Viewsonic software instead of older oe thta looks like i1Profiler.
    3. Yes, you can do it but in darker end on greyscale may get some unwanted results, inspect a non color managed gradient after calibration. Better to swap to GB-LED EDR

Also there are several sources of error different that EDR choice. mostly oversimplifications in calibration process or after calibration brightness rise/drop (not by you but done by app)
    Eaasy to spot if it is an EDR error. In displaycal report using the same EDR/CCSS as in colorbration sftware check “profile whitepoint vs measured whitepoint”. If it is a match… it is not related to EDR, it is related to oversimplification sin Colrobration software by Viesonic… hence unsolvable unless you choose to correct whitepoint by GPU calibration (banding unless GPU has dithering and high bitdepth LUTs

2. Noted on RG Phosphor EDR as an alternative. The crashes occurred on Colorbration (the s/w that looks like i1Profiler.) Not sure what caused the crash but was on a Windows 11 system, which might have contributed to the problem. Switched to the “simplified” Colorbration+ and had no issue picking up custom EDR. Also, thanks for sharing potential symptoms of EDR issues.

Regarding your 2nd message, profile WP and measured WP drifts too much => reset Viewsonic EDR to original values or swap with RG_phosphor EDR.

Even with that there must be some user error since according colorbration software your target WP is ~9000K. Keep in mind that “Native” in that vendor calibration software may mean “native gamut and native WP”, not “native gamut and D65”.  Check viewsonic manual.
    If that is happening choose custom xy primaries, set values xy for R,G & B primaries from EDID/vendor driver ICM, then set D65 or your desired white. Calibrate , then validate with DisplayCAL.

In my case (and notwithstanding any user error), it seems that the  software is broken on WP calibration. On validation the software claims to have achieved D65 whitepoint (which was selectable and separate from “Native Color Space”), but the actual WP was way off when measured with DisplayCAL. Hope there wasn’t any user error in the process but if this is  so, these manufacturers shouldn’t be shipping such broken software.

To resolve this, I had to do reiterative h/w calibrations and offsetting the white point x,y coordinates to neutralise the drift. See attached screenshot showing the difference in a) Colorbration+ validated target WP, b) Colorbration+ generated profile WP, c) DisplayCAL measured WP, d) DisplayCAL profiled WP.

My final workflow is as follows:

1) Use  supplied software to h/w calibrate. Try with default “native color space” and “D65” settings, but if that creates WP drift, then set custom CCT and offset the x,y coordinates accordingly. Use DisplayCAL’s pre profile measurement tool (w/ RGB level bars) to validate and gauge which x/y coordinate you need to offset (less/more R/G/B). Note that D65 coordinates are not equal to 6500K. https://color-image.com/2011/09/monitor-calibration-d65-or-6500-k/
    2) Once you’ve got the right WP, proceed to profile-only in DisplayCAL. Keep everything in Calibration tab “As Measured”, and set Profiling to use XYZ LUT + Matrix. 1Curve+Matrix didn’t work for me.
    3) Verify profile and if you’re lucky, everything should work.

Attachments:
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS