Can’t Work Out the Differences Between Basic Colourimiter Options

Home Forums Help and Support Can’t Work Out the Differences Between Basic Colourimiter Options

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

W.D. Stevens
    Participant

Hi all,

Sorry if this question has been done to death but I’m getting a bit over my head here. I’m looking to buy a good monitor to do film editing and colour grading (I’m early-mid career so I’m not looking at anything really pro) and I’m finally going to bite the bullet and get a colorimeter to go along with it. I was planning to use DisplayCAL to do it and was trying to wrap my head around the options I have for colorimeters. All the comparisons I can find talk about the differences in the software they come with which leads me to believe they’re all pretty much of a muchness.

The three I’m looking at are the SpyderX Pro, Colormunki Display and i1Display Pro. I initially discounted the i1 because it’s more than twice the price of the SpyderX where I live. The Colomunki (which I’m led to believe is pretty much the same at a hardware level to the i1) is about $50 more than the SpyderX. Is this a case of go for whatever’s cheaper? I see a lot of people saying to just go for the i1 but it has features I’m not sure I need but I have been able to find what appears to be an ex-display model for about $50 more again on top of the Colormunki. I would prefer not to spend that much if any of them are going to do the job just as well.

Any help is much appreciated!

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon   SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

S Simeonov
    Participant

Hi all,

Sorry if this question has been done to death but I’m getting a bit over my head here. I’m looking to buy a good monitor to do film editing and colour grading (I’m early-mid career so I’m not looking at anything really pro) and I’m finally going to bite the bullet and get a colorimeter to go along with it. I was planning to use DisplayCAL to do it and was trying to wrap my head around the options I have for colorimeters. All the comparisons I can find talk about the differences in the software they come with which leads me to believe they’re all pretty much of a muchness.

The three I’m looking at are the SpyderX Pro, Colormunki Display and i1Display Pro. I initially discounted the i1 because it’s more than twice the price of the SpyderX where I live. The Colomunki (which I’m led to believe is pretty much the same at a hardware level to the i1) is about $50 more than the SpyderX. Is this a case of go for whatever’s cheaper? I see a lot of people saying to just go for the i1 but it has features I’m not sure I need but I have been able to find what appears to be an ex-display model for about $50 more again on top of the Colormunki. I would prefer not to spend that much if any of them are going to do the job just as well.

Any help is much appreciated!

I would go for i1Display Pro, but the back up plan would be Colormunki.

W.D. Stevens
    Participant

Are you able to give any reasons why one or the other? I don’t have an issue with it taking a while which I’ve heard mentioned in other comparisons. I’m trying to work out what going from a $270 device to a used $330 device is actually gaining me. I’ve heard people say things about the Spyder series but then I’ve heard other people say that the SpyderX is completely different. Because I can get that for $220 and $110 is not insignificant if the results are going to be pretty similar.

Patrick1978
    Participant

The Colormunki Display (recently renamed to the i1Display Studio) and i1Display Pro are basically the same hardware, only difference is the Colormunki Display/i1Display Studio have been limited in firmware to only be able to do 1 measurement per second which will slow down the calibration/profiling process.

The SpyderX while decent and a good improvement over previous Spyders still lags behind the i1Display colorimeters mainly in black level measurements.  So it’s measurement of things like contrast ratio is often inaccurate.

W.D. Stevens
    Participant

Huh, well that’s good news and I don’t mind it taking longer. I do rendering so I’m used to setting my machine in motion and going to do something else for a bit. And I didn’t know that about the Studio, thank you! I did a quick search and the seller that had the ex-display Pro also has the Studio at about $20 more than the SpyderX so I guess I’ll probably go with that one. It may be second-hand but I’m sure it’ll get the job done just fine.

Thanks for your help!

Vincent
    Participant

SpyderX => no way. Slow, less accurate, does not support “portable” corrections (spectral type)

i1DisplayPro vs Colormunki Display/I1display Studio? Easy:
    -Do you need fast speed for huge profiles (> 1k patches) meant to feed LUT3D creation? The pro
    -Do you plan to buy a monitor with HW calibration in the next… 5 years? The pro
    -Do you want to have those options in the near future? The pro
    Else, munki display / i1Display Studio

REALLY, SpyderX is a NO. All of them. Last one (X) at least is supposed to do not fade, but unless you own an spectrophotometer, forget getting support for new backlight types.

W.D. Stevens
    Participant

Okay, good to strike off the SpyderX. I don’t need the first one and the kinds of monitors that have hardware calibration are out of my price range for the foreseeable future. So that confirms the Studio, I guess. Thanks!

Vincent
    Participant

Okay, good to strike off the SpyderX. I don’t need the first one and the kinds of monitors that have hardware calibration are out of my price range for the foreseeable future. So that confirms the Studio, I guess. Thanks!

Their prices start right now at 600 euros (reliable ones, like Eizo CS 24″ ) and 450 euros (unreliable ones, like Benq SW 24″) for widegamuts.
    Or 350-400 euro range for some sRGB like displays like some 24-27″ viewsonics or EA 24″ from NEC.

Maybe they can be in your price range right now or in near future, IDNK your particular situation.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS