Can’t get good result from old Asus laptop, dE* max 16 , why?

Home Forums Help and Support Can’t get good result from old Asus laptop, dE* max 16 , why?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Prapan Chulapinyo
    Participant

I’ve done calibrate, profiling old laptop, ASUS ROG GL552VW Gaming Notebook. With nvidia GTX960M, 15.6 inch, 1920 x 1080 TN panel. It not good panel I know. But the worst result white point: 8323K (my target is 6500K) , dE av: 4.81, dE max: 16. I’ve TN panel at home with much much better result than this. Don’t know what happen here. With files attach, I’d like to know why?

The panel come with very blueish, (more more blue!). I’ve try connect external display through HDMI to Dell display with great result, no problem!  I also update latest nvidia driver already.

I also try change bit depth to 8bit – same result.

I’ve done 4-times calibrate/profiling with matrix none is good result, that why I stop there. Below is attached files is ICC profile, log, report, uncalibrated-report, calibrated-report.

I’ve already return this laptop to client, nothing I can do now, but curious to know why, what happen here? My guess is maybe windows or driver is not well install or problem. Or not, because the external display is working normal, so maybe this laptop panel is almost broken, degenerate, aged or something like that?

Explanation please.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Prapan Chulapinyo
    Participant

More report, profile, log files.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Prapan Chulapinyo
    Participant

Oh forget to tell I use x-rite i1display pro plus with wled white correction.

Calibrite Display Plus HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

You cannot map the behavior of a bad irregular display with a perfect idelized matrix profile. You’ll need a table/XYZLUT profiles with at least hundreds of patches.

Prapan Chulapinyo
    Participant

I see. Is it because of bad or old display? I’ve done for around 10 displays calibrate with matrix and LUT with new and old condition -ips, VA, TN panel, only this one behavior like this on matrix.

Unfortunately I often do LUT calibrate after done matrix but not this display, not yet try LUT due to time limit. After 4-time calibrate matrix then I stop. Coz I’m not sure it can be work with LUT or not. And return it to client. Since it will take some time. If I have a chance next time I will do both matrix and LUT.

Do you think with LUT profile, this display will work fine? Not as bad as ideal matrix? Or not?

Vincent
    Participant

Display will behave as bad as it is, but profile will be able to capture/predict that behavior.
    It is app’s responsibility to deal with color transformations from some working colorspace to display colorspace.

Prapan Chulapinyo
    Participant

On your experience,  do you think I can get dE within 2 or lower by LUT on this display?  Guess  maybe?

Vincent
    Participant

It depends on 3D grid resolution. The worse display is the more nodes you’ll need to capture actual behavior.

Prapan Chulapinyo
    Participant

I see, normally I do LUT like this : calibration speed slow, auto optimized patches – with adjust patch amount slide bar setting to 2681patches.

I think it should get good result. Unfortunately I have to chance to try with this display. Maybe next time with other bad display then.

Raj S
    Participant

I recently calibrated a TN laptop panel with similar low gamut coverage. My dE’s were nowhere near as bad as yours. This result is not normal.

Maybe it’s a software issue? Power saving? Night light? Or ASUS software enhancements?

I googled this laptop and found a troubleshooting page. It says the ASUS software has “ASUS Splendid” and “ASUS Tru2Life” for gamma and color temperature adjustment. This could be your issue.

Prapan Chulapinyo
    Participant

Actually I have TN panel low gamut display at home also. Result not as bad as this one too.

But I’ve try connect external display through HDMI and result is great. So I guess it not software problem or driver. Also checked night light and power saving already, it normal.

You say Asus software enhancement, interesting even I fast check in control panel already, maybe I missed one or two. ???? It not normal I agree. The panel come with very blueish(more more blue).

Anyway I already return it to client. If I have chance again I will try LUT profile also recheck ASUS software again.

Thank you or answering. ????

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS