Can someone help me understand my measurement report?

Home Forums Help and Support Can someone help me understand my measurement report?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Firebird
    Participant

I just want to make sure I’ve understood the report properly so I can trust the colours on my monitor are displaying as accurately as possible for my system… (I’m using Windows 10 with an Asus MX239h monitor, and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB card, and measuring with an i1 Display Pro Plus.)

I’ve attached the html file, the delta e values all look like they’re ok, which I assume is good, but I’m not sure what else I’m supposed to be looking at to see if grey levels have been lost, or if gamma is ok, or anything else that might be important for good colour accuracy. Is this even what the report is showing me? The ‘install profile’ window that popped up after DisplayCAL finished running showed 88.6% sRGB gamut coverage and 96.2% sRGB gamut volume – I’m assuming these values are essentially built into the monitor and can’t be improved? Are they at least reasonable values for working with? I might replace the monitor at some point, but can’t afford much right now…

I should probably state here what I want from my display – I’m not doing any print work, I just need to be able to represent colours as accurately as possible in images that will end up online (mostly product photography for things where colour is important). I know I can’t control what people view those images with, but I’d like them to at least leave me with the best colour representation possible. The thing I’m working on at the moment is creating a large colour block swatch card (digital, not from a photo, with 350 colours) in Photoshop to show thread colours on screen as close as possible to seeing them with your own eyes (under similar lighting conditions anyway, just standard D65). I can check the actual thread sample visually against what I see on my screen, and against a physical Pantone colour bridge guide – I had planned to use this to colour match with the thread and then use the RGB values given on the guide as at least a good starting point for the Photoshop swatch – is this a useful idea, or a stupid idea? Should I be using sRGB working space profiles in Photoshop and saving images with that embedded? I have super ancient CS3, will that display profiles correctly, or is it hopelessly old? (Sorry for all these questions, I’m new to all of this, and it turns out to be a pretty steep learning curve once you start poking around at things…)

Given the above, I used sRGB for the tone curve, but I’m not really sure what the best settings for my use would be. I think my native gamma is 1.92? That’s the value from the report on the uncalibrated device anyway… Should I keep the tone curve as measured instead? I’ve read quite a few things saying not to change it too far from the native value, but I don’t know how much of a difference it makes either way.

I’d really appreciate any advice anyone has on this, I’m happy to work on the screen some more if it needs it, or trust what it shows if that’s what the report means. Tomorrow I will look at some of the monitor test/calibration images floating around online and see if things look good according to those (it’s 3.30am right now though, and my brain has died), so if anyone can recommend any in particular, that would be helpful!

Oh, and please don’t shout at me for having my screen so bright, I’m too used to having it that way! Plus I do work in a very brightly lit room… đŸ™‚

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display Plus HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Report seems fine fro that kind of display
    To see grey level lost or grey range, use additional stats, check RGB+gray balance in combo. Each channel % are unique grey levels kept.
    Grey range is color (tint) distance vs greys: color managed or (“Evaluate gray balance through calibration only”)  just calibration.
    Instead choosing sRGB TRC you may try a value closer to your display’s gamma. You can use uncalibrated report like simulating sRGB profile to check it (across grey scale, not just a “mean” value).
    Working and pusblishing in sRGB in Photoshop or whatever image editor is recommended, same for embed sRGB profile in deliverables.

If you worry about sRGB coverage:
    -measurement report, choose sRGb as simulation profile but DO NOT check it as display profile. This tests how it will behave in Photoshop showing a generic sRGB image.
    or
    -use Photoshop or other image editor softproof features to check on actual work what is inside sRGB but is not inside your monitor colorspace (out of gamut option).

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Vincent.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS