Can Monitor brightness be "too low"?

Home Forums Help and Support Can Monitor brightness be "too low"?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

mds83
    Participant

When calibrating to a certain brightness level (below 50 cd/m2 in a dark room), the colors looks dull looking while the  whites are greyish.

Does this mean there’s a certain threshold for brightness?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If you’re used to higher luminance, then lowering it will take a bit of time for your eyes to adapt. If it seems too dim though, then it probably is. Peak luminance should be chosen according to the viewing environment. Also note that if you’re limiting luminance via signal (i.e. video card gamma tables or internal display processing) and not backlight, you’re also limiting gamut.

S Simeonov
    Participant

If you’re used to higher luminance, then lowering it will take a bit of time for your eyes to adapt. If it seems too dim though, then it probably is. Peak luminance should be chosen according to the viewing environment. Also note that if you’re limiting luminance via signal (i.e. video card gamma tables or internal display processing) and not backlight, you’re also limiting gamut.

So which is the lowest cd/m2 we could use for calibration?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So which is the lowest cd/m2 we could use for calibration?

There is no absolute limit.

mds83
    Participant

Thanks for the reply.  I’m limiting my brightness with monitor osd, does that limit the gamut?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by mds83.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thanks for the reply. I’m limiting my brightness with monitor osd, does that limit the gamut?

You’ll have to see for yourself. Typically the “brightness” controls the backlight.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS