Can I trust this calibration?

Home Forums Help and Support Can I trust this calibration?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Dragnerok X
    Participant

I’m trying to calibrate an MG248Q (144 Hz 6-bit+FRC TN) with a used Spyder 4 Elite. My target is 6500K, 120 cd/m2, gamma 2.2 using the “LCD (White LED)” corrections. This profile at 99.2% SRGB represents the best of my efforts. Still, I can’t shake the feeling that something is.. off.

Colors overall look too dark, yet lagom.nl indicates that my gamma is spot-on. Maybe I’m just used to a lower gamma? I’m also getting quite a bit of banding in the darker shades, but from what I’ve read that’s to be expected from 6-bit+FRC panels.

I’ve attached the verification report to this post. Does everything look okay? Is there anything I can do to improve my profile, or is this about the best I can expect given my colorimeter and monitor?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

Maybe I’m just used to a lower gamma?

Possibly.

I’m also getting quite a bit of banding in the darker shades, but from what I’ve read that’s to be expected from 6-bit+FRC panels.

Banding can become apparent for a multitude of reasons, and the display + panel are not the only factor. Usually, it comes down to limited bit depth processing and absence of high quality dithering.

I’ve attached the verification report to this post. Does everything look okay?

Certainly looks good.

Dragnerok X
    Participant

Thanks for the reply.

Usually, it comes down to limited bit depth processing and absence of high quality dithering.

I take it that these, like panel technology, aren’t something that I can correct for?

Certainly looks good.

Glad to hear.

I also just noticed that the reported contrast ratio is a meager 500:1, half of what is reported by TFTCentral. What could be the cause of this, and can I correct  it?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I take it that these, like panel technology, aren’t something that I can correct for?

Depends on the respective application.

I also just noticed that the reported contrast ratio is a meager 500:1, half of what is reported by TFTCentral. What could be the cause of this, and can I correct it?

If you feel that contrast is lower than it should be, check your display settings.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS