Can I create a working profile fitting the color gamut of the profiled monitor?

Home Forums Help and Support Can I create a working profile fitting the color gamut of the profiled monitor?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

http://ninedegreesbelow.com/photography/srgb-bad-working-space-profile.html#how-to-cope says

If you use Argyllcms to make your custom monitor profile using the “several step” method (Typical usage Scenarios and Examples, Profiling in several steps), then you are already half-way to making your own monitor-sized working space. Just make yourself a second matrix monitor profile using the colprof “-aG” parameter instead of “-as”. The resulting profile won’t be a good monitor profile; instead it will be a working space with a color gamut that’s very close to the color gamut of your monitor profile.

http://argyllcms.com/doc/Scenarios.html#PM4 says how to create profiles with argyllcms.

It seems argyllcms can create working profiles that fit the color gamuts of profiled monitors. I want working profiles for image editing on my monitors.

Can I create monitor working profiles with displaycal?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

It seems argyllcms can create working profiles that fit the color gamuts of profiled monitors

I fail to see what the point of this would be. Most half-decent computer monitors available today have a gamut that is relatively close to sRGB, so profiling can be used to be able to accurately display sRGB imagery without too much compromise. Keeping your images in a standard space has other benefits such as when it comes to data transfer and exchange (e.g. displaying sRGB images on an uncalibrated/unprofiled monitor).
    If the monitor is not behaving in a perfectly additive manner, then it may not be possible to have a simple matrix profile that matches the actual monitor gamut (i.e. the gamut defined by the matrix would have to be smaller or larger than the actual monitor gamut).

Can I create monitor working profiles with displaycal?

Yes. Enable “Advanced options” in the “Options” menu, on the calibration tab, disable interactive display adjustment and set calibration tone curve to “As measured”. On the “Profiling” tab, move the patches amount slider all the way to the left (this will also enable black point compensation which is desirable for matrix profiles generally and working spaces in particular), and then set profile type to single gamma + matrix.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I fail to see what the point of this would be.

I’m trying to create a linear-gamma(gamma 1.0) color profile that has the color gamut of my monitor for image editing in gimp and krita.

When rec.2020 comes, a lot of monitors won’t support rec.2020 color gamut. If some monitors have color gamuts wider than AdobeRGB but much narrower than rec.2020, it’ll help to get linear-gamma working spaces that have the color gamut of the monitors for image editing.

set profile type to single gamma + matrix.

How can I get a linear-gamma color profile that has the color gamut of my monitor?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I’m trying to create a linear-gamma(gamma 1.0) color profile that has the color gamut of my monitor for image editing in gimp and krita.

You definitely do not want to use a 1.0 gamma profile unless you work exclusively with 16-bit per channel imagery due to the heavy quantization artifacts you’ll get otherwise (I do not even think Krita and Gimp support a 16-bit workflow all the way through).

If some monitors have color gamuts wider than AdobeRGB but much narrower than rec.2020, it’ll help to get linear-gamma working spaces that have the color gamut of the monitors for image editing.

No, it won’t: If your monitor gamut is smaller than your actual image gamut, you’ll either have to compress out-of-gamut colors to move them into the monitor gamut, or clip them.  An intermediate smaller working colorspace won’t help, it’ll just move the point where the clipping/compression has to occur to an earlier point. What you really want to do if you work a lot with large gamut images and your monitor gamut isn’t large enough is to create a LUT profile with a perceptual table that compresses ou-of-gamut colors to maintain picture detail. DisplayCAL offers this in the advanced options.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Florian Höch.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I do not even think Krita and Gimp support a 16-bit workflow all the way through

For krita, I’d have to ask krita devs, but krita has advanced support for 16-bit integer and 32-bit float workflows, and I have 32GB RAM for image editing. Although I’m not a krita dev, according to my experiences, krita seems to support 16-bit and 32-bit workflows all the way through.

I’m almost sure that GIMP-CCE, which I often use, supports 16-bit integer and 32-bit float workflows thoroughly. Elle stone, the developer of GIMP-CCE, is an expert in this area.

If your monitor gamut is smaller than your actual image gamut

I’m an aspiring digital painter, and I create images from scratch. Thus, a linear-gamma monitor profile could be a useful tool in my tool box.

However, for now, I’d like to put aside discussions around whether or not linear-gamma monitor profiles have use cases. Instead, I’d like to ask two technical questions if you don’t mind answering.

1. Does DisplayCAL support creating linear-gamma monitor profiles?
    2. If the answer to the question 1 is ‘yes’, how can I make linear-gamma monitor profiles?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thus, a linear-gamma monitor profile could be a useful tool in my tool box.

I’m not sure why you think that (aside from that I assume you’re talking about working spaces, not actual monitor profiles). Gamma has nothing to do with the size and shape of the gamut.

Does DisplayCAL support creating linear-gamma monitor profiles?

You can calibrate to any gamma you’d like.

If the answer to the question 1 is ‘yes’, how can I make linear-gamma monitor profiles?

See above.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks. I think I am very close to understanding the procedure. After practice, I’ll get the hang of it. For the importance of linear-gamma working space, see below.

A monitor-sized linear-gamma working space lets a painter utilize the full color gamuts of the monitors with as least color distortions as possible. Although digital painting with invisible colors is possible and sometimes useful, painting with accurate color is useful and more intuitive. Painters can paint images on monitor-sized linear-gamma working spaces and squeeze the images into sRGB in the final steps(publishing to the web, etc, …).

Florian Höch
    Administrator

For the importance of linear-gamma working space, see below.

Well, but that’s the thing: The processing should ideally be independent from the document space. I.e. what imaging applications should be doing is document space to linear light -> processing -> linear light to document space. Using a linear gamma document space may be a workaround if that’s not possible.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS