can I calibrate contrast by re-adjusting after verification?

Home Forums General Discussion can I calibrate contrast by re-adjusting after verification?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Lastgen
    Participant

I’ve had some issues trying to set contrast properly on my IPS monitor.  I think I’m in the right track, but not sure if my thought process makes sense or I’m just being dumb.

Here goes nothing:

Contrast is at 80 out of 100 from factory. I run a calibration for 100cdm2 brightness and finish. I then run a verification test and everything looks ok. Contrast ratio shows up as 750:1. Not terrible, but I’d like to see 1000 or 900 ish. So what I do is bump up the contrast control to say 85 tick brightness down a notch, then run another verification and it’s now showing contrast as 830:1 and everything else looks good.

I keep doing this until I don’t see any improvement in contest anymore, or I start to get fail errors( which could be fixed by a recalibration I guess). I actually was able to get my measured black point from .2 to .1 and contrast at 890.

From here I could recalibrate again and run another verification. I’m at work so I haven’t got there yet. I’m just wondering if this is putting me on the right track vs trying to just display patterns and adjusting contrast by eye.  I’m using an i1pro colorimeter.

Lastgen
    Participant

I think I get it now. It’s just a bunch of trial an error. But, if I’m setting my target for playing video games then perhaps I should use these adjustments when calibrating.

120cdm2 seems to almost eliminate the IPS glow or light bleed I get on the bottom left corner of my screen. And this is a pretty good setting for me as I’ve got some ambient lighting. But I could always run a test first.

Stuff to try, I guess. Not in any real order.

• 2.4 Gamma.
    • Gamma dark region emphasis parameter with a 15-30% value to start with.
    • Black point correction rate probably with a value below 4.
    • Run reports on uncalibrated display device the adjust white level and black level accordingly.
    • Use sRGB or REC 709 or a gamma of 2.2 but also specify the actual ambient viewing conditions.

Since it’s an LCD panel tough, budget at that, maybe just setting white point native, adjust that during calibration, and setting white level is all I can do anyway. The goal is for an enjoyable video game experience for this setting. I’m just unsure as it’s a wide-gamut display. But I can always switch profiles and modes based on what I’m doing like content creation. Only problem is there is no sRGB setting on the device. I would imagine I just calibrate native for wide gamut then for sRGB. I wonder if I can get into the service menu and rename the video modes on the panel.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Lastgen.

MW
    Participant

I think a better tool is to use the verification report on the uncalibrated display to judge if contrast setting changes are detrimental, factory reset the monitor and enable custom color to expose the full gamut, disable any dynamic contrast. Create a testchart with 256 levels of each R-G-B-Grey channel to detect clipping or odd color shifts hear 100% brightness.

Gamma 2.2 is the most suitable setting for an IPS display. You can reduce IPS glow by placing the panel at a further distance and higher up.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by MW.

Lastgen
    Participant

Ok, so I ran the uncalibrated report on the native setting, uncalibrated, and contrast ratio was 916:1. Just from calibrating gamma to 2.2 and leaving contrast at the factory default of 80 I was able to measure 938:1  at 120cd/m2. That’s about as good as I would expectfrom this display. Omen 27i.

When I get time I’ll do The test charts like you suggested.

Lastgen
    Participant

I was also able to measure black luminance at .12~. I would imagine that is excellent for an IPS. The most noticeable glow is on the left side bottom corner.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS