Calibration Tools (Colorimeter) Choice + Understanding

Home Forums General Discussion Calibration Tools (Colorimeter) Choice + Understanding

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

iarik-chan
    Participant

I decide between the following:

1. Calibrite ColorChecker Display Plus
    2. Calibrite Display Pro HL
    3. Calibrite Display Plus HL
    • Price is not a dominant factor – I need a “decent” display callibration device for a long-term use.
    • At this point I am almost complete noobie and possess “oldish” Dell XPS 9560 UHD (Test 1, Test 2) + a Huion Kamvas Pro 16 (Test)… But I aim to become more profficient and eventually upgrade devices.
    • At this point, I need to calibrate both of the above, but primarily Dell’s Display
    • Will appreciate critical review of 1,2,3 tools (+ any other suggestions)

I also have some general questions on aspects I don’t quite get (and I try to obtain a solid understanding so will be extremely grateful if you provide details):
    [Q1]. Will I be able to realize (use) 2 properly callibrated displays simultaneously?
    [Q2]. As it seems to me (sorry if it sounds stupid), “calibration” can be aimed on:
    i) either adjusting what you are “sending” your monitor to (based on how it “physically” responds)
    ii) or changing how it responds to each input (of course, you can’t alter physical components, but only their responsiveness, as to say)
    In both cases, I don’t get why we can’t just link all the colors (of all relevant models & bit depths) to the best possible output in terms of color accuracy. Is this a “too” lot to handle? I suppose, my question can be “practically” formulated as “why we use color profiles for calibration and not always 3D LUTs”…As well as: “do I callibrate to some target color space or uniformly”?

Thanks in advance!

Vincent
    Participant

1 ) old munki display, same limitations AFAIK.
    2) old i1displaypro but with modified gains to measure more nits (and worse measurements in dark oled colors)

Q1 That will be GPU limitation, not device’s. AFAIK all current computer GPUs supports that as long as you do not clone desktops, you must extend them.

Q2 DisplayCAL/i1Profiler/ccProfiler… are GPU calibration tools. You are guided to modify (if you can) the OSD controls for brightness and whitepoint. Then these apps calculate grey calibration for that white color and your chosen gamma. Grey calibration is loaded into GPU, not monitor

In both cases, I don’t get why we can’t just link all the colors (of all relevant models & bit depths) to the best possible output in terms of color accuracy.

Because that will limit you to display images in only one colorspace, so these app calibrate grey and use full gamut of that OSD preset, then create a profile describing that OSD mode behavior (after grey calibration) and let color managed apps deal with transformations.

Is this a “too” lot to handle?

It is useless unless you want to display images encoded in only one colorspace. For example games or video, not useful for photo/image editing.
    For those uses (sRGB only, Rec709 only) you can use DMWLUT feeded with DisplayCAL’s profiles or its derivated files (LUT3D)

I suppose, my question can be “practically” formulated as “why we use color profiles for calibration and not always 3D LUTs”…As well as: “do I callibrate to some target color space or uniformly”?

Because I want to “see” images encoded in ProphotoRGB, AdobeRGB, eciRGBv2, DisplayP3 and sRGB without modifying anything in my computer. Just open file in a color managed editor like PS and let PS manage the color transforations from image to display colorspace,

If you want to simulate some colorspace in a display without HW calibration, or without reliable HW calibration (dell, Benq and such), use DWMLUT. Feed DWMLUT with the simulations (LUT3D) you need, creatin them with DisplayCAL profiles. If you do that you must set the simulated colorspace as display profile in OS settings.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by Vincent.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

WilliamP
    Participant

If you look at Calibrite’s old comparison PDF, the ColorChecker Display Plus was the highest end model in the “ColorChecker Display” series. I think the one you are thinking of was simply called the ColorChecker Display (no “Pro” or “Plus”).

[Just for reference, here is the comparison PDF for their new lineup.]

Vincent
    Participant

If you look at Calibrite’s old comparison PDF, the ColorChecker Display Plus was the highest end model in the “ColorChecker Display” series. I think the one you are thinking of was simply called the ColorChecker Display (no “Pro” or “Plus”).

[Just for reference, here is the comparison PDF for their new lineup.]

You are right, I thought I read “display SL”

Vincent
    Participant

The Plus should had and advantage with dark oled color patches according to a semi/small review in AVSForums. But for the same reason it may not read as high as HL.

iarik-chan
    Participant

Thanks a lot for clarification!

iarik-chan
    Participant

Sorry for late responce, I was reading up on the color management. Clearly, I misinterpreted a couple of nuances while posting this topic. Now I differentiate more properly between CMM conversion based on profiles / calibration (soft vs hard) / etc.

Still, some theoreticaly interesting points are not 100% clear even now.
    For instance, if color range (as a continuous concept) of a given display fully contains some (smaller) target color range, say sRGB…Are we then able to get 100%(!) accurate results of calibrating the former to the latter (for a fixed bit depth)?<- I suppose, adding “calibrating and CMM convering” is reduntant here.
    Hope I will create a separate topic soon!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS