Calibration stops/hangs after measuring

Home Forums Help and Support Calibration stops/hangs after measuring

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

When I want to calibrate, the program stops doing anything.
    The measurement window is still there, counting the time and
    saying: Computing update to calibration curves…
    The instrument…

Trying to calibrate a display via Resolve, i1 Pro2

This happens always with iterations…

Here’s the log file:

• This topic was modified on 2015-10-05 15:39:09 by erikwittbusch.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

I’m not able to reproduce the problem. You should be able to work around it by skipping calibration though, i.e. set calibration tone curve to “As measured”.

Okay. Danke.

Will the resulting LUT then also correct the gamma curve?
    And why does DCG make these long lasting iterations with countless readouts?

I don’t understand the errors (brightness and max/avg netral error) in the log.
    The readouts are close enough to be considered good…

I’ll try out tomorrow and report again…

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Will the resulting LUT then also correct the gamma curve?

Yes. It’s always all or nothing.

And why does DCG make these long lasting iterations with countless readouts?

It depends on the instrument how fast this part of the overall process is. With an i1 DisplayPro on a typical IPS panel, it usually takes less than 15 minutes for a medium speed calibration (at 120 cd/m2 peak brightness), although through Resolve it’ll be a bit slower due to the additional delay needed.
    The 3D LUT presets don’t do it by default because the 3D LUT resolution and initial patch count is high enough that additional 1D LUT calibration is lesss likely to offer a benefit. This is true for the other presets as well, but most people have come to expect 1D LUT calibration to be part of the chain even though technically it may not be needed or offer a benefit in every case (although on Windows, the calibration part is usually desired because it’s the only correction that will affect the desktop, which is not color managed, unlike Mac OS X).

I don’t understand the errors (brightness and max/avg netral error) in the log.

The remaining brightness error after calibration is usually due to display and instrument drift as well as possible inability to hit the target brighntess while maintaining the whitepoint (if linear calibration gives you a brightness X but the whitepoint still needs correction via the calibration curves to hit the target, i.e. if it’s not possible to hit it by adjusting the display controls alone during the interactive part, then one or two channels will be reduced which results in lower than X brightness).
    The average neutral error has a close relation to the target for the last iteration (i.e. ‘Doing iteration 3/3 with 64 sample points and repeat threshold of 0.600000 DE’ means it’ll repeat measurements and videoLUT adjustments until it is below the threshold or fails to do so within the maximum measurement repeat count).
    Most of the other information may be useful for troubleshooting but is generally not that interesting.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

I can’t really reproduce it neither…

If I set everything to “as measured”, DCG works fine.
    When I set the probe mode to “adaptive” there are errors again…

In the end calibration went fine nevertheless. THANKS!
    See attached report header.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS