Calibration stops in whitepoint "0_16.ti3"

Home Forums Help and Support Calibration stops in whitepoint "0_16.ti3"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Sami Muhonen
    Participant

Hi there!

I am a rookie of this app and after couple of installing issues try to start actual calibrations, it stops after 30 sek
    in error message: Error – Write error: Unable to open file ‘0_16.ti3’ for writing

No change if I change saving path or reinstalling software.

Somebody please help!

Best Regards Sami

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

several things I can think of:

• No available disk space where the temporary directory resides
    • Messed up directory permissions
    • Disk is write protected
    • Badly written 3rd party security software (Antivirus, Firewall, “Security Suites”)

Sami Muhonen
    Participant

What is that temporary directory?
    I tried without any security software. No difference and non of disks are write protected.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Usually %TEMP% is C:\Users\<Your Username>\AppData\Local\Temp

Martyn Thompson
    Participant

Hi,

Just want to thanks for a great piece of software.  I have a solution to this which might not be elegant (it isn’t) but it has worked for me.

I am using Ubuntu 18.04 with DisplayCAL 3.8.2 and Argyll CMS and SpyderX.

I searched for the 0_16.T13 file but didn’t come up in normal searches.  So after looking at what Florian had said I looked into the temp directory on Ubuntu  (/tmp).  If you are happy to use the command line go to that directory (cd \tmp\ then ls -la). You will probably see a ton of directories named DisplayCAL-xxxxxx where the exes are random letters – at least I think they are random.  A new directory is created but isn’t write enabled by default – which I believe is why DisplayCAL appears to fall over.

What worked for me was to run DisplayCAL as superuser (sudo /usr/bin/displaycal) then invoke the  Calibrate and profile button.  This will bring up the first dialogue to calibrate the spyderX (close the lid and press Calibrate).  At this stage DisplayCAL creates a new directory (/tmp/DisplayCAL-xxxxxx).   This must be writable.  I covered all bases by typing “sudo chmod 0777 -R DisplayCAL-xxxxxx”).   Note that this makes the whole directory and files within it writeable by everyone and is a potential security risk.  You could try 0755 if that makes you feel more comfortable.

Once you have made this directory tree writable you can continue with the rest of the the calibration process.

I am pretty sure this is only a workaround and I can only say it worked for me under the conditions I described.

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

That is indeed not a good solution. If your temporary directory permissions are messed up, you should fix them. Under Linux (as superuser):

chmod 1777 /tmp

MidgePhoto
    Participant

I have this problem, 3.8.8.1 on Ubuntu 18.04

Spyder X

Nothing wrong with my /tmp directory or drives, thanks.

I tried the suggestion above – same result.

Tried actually creating an empty 0_16.ti3 file, and making it 644 writeable like the files Dispcal created in that directory when it created the directory.  No good.

This is running sudo so as root.

Something weird going on, and it does not look as though the error reported is what is happening.

MidgePhoto
    Participant

However, running it as ordinary user IT WORKS!  Whoopee.

3 screens, 2 to calibrate, one was well off and does look better.  Nvidia multihead thing driving them with FLOSS drivers in current Ubuntu LTS.

Interesting sound-effects, but the text and alerts are not entirely transparent.  Thanks for the software.

Dave M.
    Participant

I am having the same problem with Mint 18.3.  Seems correct that a user can’t access the port, since if I run DisplayCAL as root, then it can.  But then it fails later, apparently because /tmp is rwx — —.  I have not tried to  get around that in a day or two, but as I recall there are timing issues with making it 777.  From what I remember the file that will be used is created just before it is needed, and I don’t have time to chmod between when it is created and when it is needed.  Needs more poking, but I did get past the original problem by running as root.   I think what I really need is a proper  rule  in /etc/udev/rules.d but I haven’t been able to create one that works yet.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Dave M..

Martyn Thompson
    Participant

Yeah the solution that Florian suggested doesn’t work.

The tmp directory *is* writeable but the created file isn’t.  Unless you are able to get the timing exactly right (by having more than one command prompt open at once) so that you can make that file writeable, it will fail.  This is true if you run the software as user, sudo or even su.

Ubuntu 18.04.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The tmp directory *is* writeable but the created file isn’t.

Something is seriously broken on your system if the process that created a temporary file cannot access it.

Martyn Thompson
    Participant

Interestingly, every other piece of software I run seems to so without issue.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

That’s not useful information. Every other software is using the exact same underlying system calls to read or write files, so that then tells me something on your system is blocking the access specifically (some kind of badly configured “security” suite?). Figure out what it is, and fix it.

Reuben Hunter
    Participant

Dude there isn’t any “broken” security suite running. I run into this problem on a fresh install of Ubuntu 2020. More to that I have to run the program as root or it ends up not detecting the SpyderX Pro and if I do run it as root it ends up confusing it’s self with file permissions and rw access.

Reuben Hunter
    Participant

Solved :

sudo chmod 777 /dev/bus/usb/001/010

from what I have found, I had to use a sudo privilege to run displaycal to get access to the device, but at the same time, I also ran into a problem that we all share.

so running the chmod 777 (which gives the device access to all users of r and w privilege) fixed the issue. Note that the chmod is temporary.3

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS