Calibration Settings for Rec 709 G2.4

Home Forums Help and Support Calibration Settings for Rec 709 G2.4

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Jamie Neale
    Participant

Hi

Looking for some much need help.
    I’ve read the instructions but some parts are still unclear to me so I need some advice if possible.
    I’m looking to calibrate my second monitor via resolve as a video reference monitor targeting Rec 709 and Gamma 2.4.

Here’s the settings I currently have, could you take a look let me know if I’m doing anything wrong please.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) running Catalina 10.15.6
    BMD Ultrastudio Monitor out to BenQ PD2700Q (set to G2.4 internally)
    Probe: xRite i1 Display

DisplayCal (3.8.9.3) settings for Rec 709 gamma 2.4

Calibration Tab
    White level – 100cmd
    Tone Curve – As Measured – Should this be set to gamma 2.4 also?

Profile settings – Which test chart should I pick?

3D LUT settings
    Source colourspace – Rec 709
    Tone curve – custom gamma 2.4 (relative)
    Black output offset – 100%
    Rendering intent – Absolute colorimetric with white point scaling
    Input/Output – Full range
    LUT resolution – 65

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Jamie

Vincent
    Participant

Tone Curve – As Measured – Should this be set to gamma 2.4 also?

Not needed, it will measure monitor to create profile used as destination to LUT3D.

It can be useful if you use that profile as OS default display profile but since it is plugged to blackmagic and due to macOS profile limitations not needed.
    If uncalibrated PD2700Q  grey color (not gamma, just color tints) is very bad it can be useful to correct it and then append computer grey calibration (VCGT) to LUT3D. IDNK how bad is yours. As starinting point use your current values.

Profile settings – Which test chart should I pick?

Big one, 400 to 1k patch set XYZLUT as staring point. (17 side node on LUT3D cube will be ~5k patches)

Jamie Neale
    Participant

Thanks Vincent, really appreciate your help.

I’ve calibrated and it doesn’t look too bad but could you help me understand the self report please? what numbers should I be looking at and what values are acceptable/good?

Apologies if this is basic but I’m just starting out. Thanks.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Use actual readings, measurements.

Jamie Neale
    Participant

Sorry it’s not clear what you’re suggesting. Here’s the measurement report, is that what you’re suggesting to look at?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Sorry it’s not clear what you’re suggesting. Here’s the measurement report, is that what you’re suggesting to look at?

Do the same but applying colorimeter correction (White LED sRGB for PD2700Q). If you make the profile used fro LUT3D computation without that correction you’ll need to redo all.
    Without proper correction for display backlight measurements are not accurate. It’s basic colorimeter operation so usually we do not repeait that info ALL the time on every thread

If you applied colorimeter cotrrection, yes, that is the verification you should do.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 12 months ago by Vincent.

Jamie Neale
    Participant

Do you mean use the 3D LUT I’ve made with DisplayCal and run the measurement test? or something else?

I’m used to calibrating monitors with xRite software which is much less complex. DisplayCal seems like a great tool but it’s complicated and difficult to understand all of the options available and how they work. Point me in the direction of each of the options explained and i’ll happily read through all the information.

Vincent
    Participant

I’m used to calibrating monitors with xRite software which is much less complex.

I1Profiler has no software LUT3D functionality… so it’s useless your your task.

DisplayCal seems like a great tool but it’s complicated and difficult to understand all of the options available and how they work. Point me in the direction of each of the options explained and i’ll happily read through all the information.

You made profile in a wrong way. It was YOU who forget to use a colorimeter correction. i1Profiler needs it too and if you select the wrong one you’ll face the same issues (and you will have a more limited set of corrections, not upgradeable)

Your last screnshoot shows “none” as correction… hence an educated guess its that you doid not use it in all the process so resulting profile is wrong, Wrong = measured color coordinates are not accurate.
    Same will apply to ANY (non vendor or HW cal) OTHER TOOL that supports i1d3. They require YOU to select proper backlight correction for i1d3 colorimeter family.

So if my guess was correct and you did not use a colorimeter correction for all previous stages… you’ll need to redo them. From start. Use “White LED” (common LED sRGB monitors) correction. It’s bundled with DisplayCAL (just import it) and i1Profiler. Select it in colorimeter correction combo in devices tab (1st one)

• This reply was modified 2 years, 12 months ago by Vincent.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Jamie Neale
    Participant

You say the White LED correction is bundled with DisplayCal, where is ti located?

Vincent
    Participant

-In correction combo, if you already have them
    -imported from tools / correction / import colorimeter correction / i1d3 & auto
    -imported manually http://displaycal.net/i1d3

Jamie Neale
    Participant

Thanks for the link.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS