Calibration settings for images/video viewed on digital displays?

Home Forums Help and Support Calibration settings for images/video viewed on digital displays?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Equizz
    Participant

Hello,

I run a YouTube channel that, funnily enough, produces video content for online consumption, and recently purchased an IPS monitor that I plan on using to proof graphics (social media, channel art, thumbnails etc) and videos before release.

I was wondering what settings you’d recommend for DisplayCAL in order to produce accurate images and video for digital online consumption? Monitor settings will differ from person to person, but I was hoping there would be a rough estimate.

I’ve already created a profile for photography printing with the following settings as recommended by guides:

Whitepoint: 6500k; White Level: 120 cd/m2; Tone Curve: Gamma 2.2

The above settings are great for printing, but the screen (as expected, as printers print darker) seems a little too dark for digital display graphics and video.

I’m well aware that most people (my viewerbase) have non-calibrated displays with a wide variety of brightness settings. So am I right in thinking a higher White Level is needed when producing graphic and video content for online (computer, phone and tablet) consumption, perhaps 160-200cd/m2 due to greater back lighting?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated as I’m new to calibration, but incredibly keen to get it right. Thanks.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

[…] recently purchased an IPS monitor that I plan on using to proof graphics (social media, channel art, thumbnails etc) and videos before release.

Make sure the applications you use are ICC color management capable (e.g. Photoshop) as most aren’t (at least under Windows). In the video world, applications may have support for color management using 3D LUTs.

Whitepoint: 6500k; White Level: 120 cd/m2; Tone Curve: Gamma 2.2

Good all-around settings. You shouldn’t need to change these.

The above settings are great for printing, but the screen (as expected, as printers print darker) seems a little too dark for digital display graphics and video.

White level should match your lighting situation. If the display looks too dark, increase its brightness using the backlight control – no need to set a target in software (in fact, I would recommend against it), adjust the display visually (you need to re-calibrate/re-profile after that).

Equizz
    Participant

White level should match your lighting situation. If the display looks too dark, increase its brightness using the backlight control – no need to set a target in software (in fact, I would recommend against it), adjust the display visually (you need to re-calibrate/re-profile after that).

So I adjust screen brightness visually, re-calibrate and ignore the part in DisplayCAL that asks me to adjust monitor brightness to fall between the two arrows? This will still calibrate monitor colours correctly (sorry if a daft question)?

That part of the calibration process is only applicable if planning to obtain correct brightness on photos before print? So it’s not as applicable if calibrating a monitor for digital consumption, as each persons brightness setting will differ to preference around the globe?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Equizz.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Equizz.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So I adjust screen brightness visually, re-calibrate and ignore the part in DisplayCAL that asks me to adjust monitor brightness to fall between the two arrows?

Basically. Set white level target to “as measured”.

This will still calibrate monitor colours correctly (sorry if a daft question)?

Yes.

That part of the calibration process is only applicable if planning to obtain correct brightness on photos before print?

It’s applicable if you want to target a specific brightness for any number of reasons. Normally you already have set your display at a comfortable brightness to work with though.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS