Calibration on two Dell U2410 with Huey Pro

Home Forums Help and Support Calibration on two Dell U2410 with Huey Pro

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Janik Frithioff
    Participant

Hi,

Just wanted to make sure i am doing this the correct way.

So, first of all I press “Calibrate & profile”.

I run “interactive display adjustment”
    In there I can see my green is way off (see attachment “ida.jpg”).
    So i select “custom color” in my monitors preset modes and manipulate the “Gain” under “custom colour” in order to make the red, green blue match. (in the menu system of the monitor).
    After that I run the calibration.

The wierd thing is – when it is done with the calibration – it shows I only got  78,1 % coverage of sRGB and only 56,2 % of Adobe RGB.
    This monitor should be able to show 100% of sRGB and about 98% of Adobe RGB.

So – what am I doing wrong here?

Any suggestions and help is highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

the Huey was not a very accurate device even when it was new, so I’d recommend sticking to whitepoint “As measured” and adjust the whitepoint purely visually (ignore the colored bars). This may give you a good portion of gamut coverage back that was lost due to limiting each individual R, G, B channel too strongly.

Janik Frithioff
    Participant

Hi Florian,

First of all – thank you very much for your answer.

So, to understand you correctly.
    1. I should reset the adjustments of the RGB gain of the screen (in the screens menu)
    2. Set it to preset “Adobe RGB”
    3. Calibrate again with whitepoint set to “As measured”.

How do I adjust the whitepoint visually? Without adjusting the coloured bars? I mean – I can’t see if I have the correct whitepoint?

Hope you can clarify 🙂

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I should reset the adjustments of the RGB gain of the screen (in the screens menu)

Yes.

Set it to preset “Adobe RGB”

Depends on what you’re after. If you want widest possible gamut, there should also be a “Native” mode.

Calibrate again with whitepoint set to “As measured”.

Yes.

How do I adjust the whitepoint visually? Without adjusting the coloured bars? I mean – I can’t see if I have the correct whitepoint?

Lacking a whitepoint reference or higher quality instrument, this is the best you can do.

Janik Frithioff
    Participant

Hi Florian,

Once again – thanks for you time!

The modes available in the on-screen-menu are:
    Standard
    Multimedia
    Game
    Warm
    Cool
    Adobe RGB
    sRGB
    Custom Color
    I am guessing, the “native” mode (with the widest gamut) is Adobe RGB?

Final question:
    It sounds like I need to get myself a decent calibration instrument. Do you have any suggestions (without a need to rob a bank.. 😉 )

Thanks!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I am guessing, the “native” mode (with the widest gamut) is Adobe RGB?

If I recall correctly it’s “Custom Color”.

It sounds like I need to get myself a decent calibration instrument. Do you have any suggestions (without a need to rob a bank.

I would see how far you get with your current instrument before shelling out money. Otherwise, the ColorMunki Display or i1 Display Pro are good value (virtually the same instrument, but the i1 Display Pro is faster). They have a light gathering lens which helps precision and speed, as well as good filters.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Janik Frithioff
    Participant

Hi again,

Now I have tried calibrating in both Adobe RGB, standard and custom colur.

I get a very green-ish tint and my gamut for adobe RGB is still a bit above 60 %.

It may be time for a new instrument.

Thanks for your suggestions – I will look into that 🙂

Janik Frithioff
    Participant

Hi again,

So I went out and brought a i1 Display Pro – very nice results! I get a delta E of around 1 – not bad!

One thing is confusing me. Right now – only one monitor is calibrated and I noticed that sRGB and Adobe RGB files look the same.
    On the un-calibrated monitor, I can see a big difference in the green color of the attached files. (when opened in color-managed applications, such as Windows  Picture Viewer and Photoshop).
    Seems like the calibration “disables” the colour profiles and only shows one colorspace..?
    So is the idea – that I need to select “sRGB” preset in my monitors menu, in order to preview pictures in sRGB (as most people will see them..) ?
    Also – in photoshop, when i try to soft-proff, i see no difference switching between sRGB and Adobe RGB.

Please see attached files – argb and srgb  – same green colour different colurspaces.
    On the calibrated monitor, they look the same, on the un-calibrated monitor i see a clear difference!
    Thanks!

Attachments:

Janik Frithioff
    Participant

Perhaps the attached picture explains my problem better:

On the left – color-calibrated screen. No difference between Adobe RGB and sRGB
    On the right – non-color-calibrated screen, without icc profile. Clearly difference between Adobe RGB and sRGB

Shouldn’t I be able to proff a sRGB correctly in a colour-managed application?

Thanks 🙂

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Make sure the correct profiles are assigned to each monitor in Windows color management control panel.

Janik Frithioff
    Participant

Make sure the correct profiles are assigned to each monitor in Windows color management control panel.

Thing this is, that when the correct profiles are assigned in Windows Color Management, There is visually no difference of sRGB and Adobe RGB in the previous attached samples (255 Green). Not even in colours managed applications.

But that is normal behavior?

Thanks 🙂

Florian Höch
    Administrator

But that is normal behavior?

No. Your photo looks as if the right screen is the color managed one.

Janik Frithioff
    Participant

Hi Agian,

So to understand you correctly, I should see a difference of a G = 255 image inside photoshop in two different files with two different colourprofiles.

Thanks 🙂

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So to understand you correctly, I should see a difference of a G = 255 image inside photoshop in two different files with two different colourprofiles.

Yes (provided that the display gamut is large enough to actually be able to show the difference, which is the case for the U2410 if not profiled in sRGB mode).

Janik Frithioff
    Participant

Hi,

Yes i have two U2410’s.
    I had the understanding, that photoshop will try to match colours. So on a calibrated monitor, the difference between sRGB and Adobe RGB shouldn’t be so big.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS