Calibration of Dell U2412M

Home Forums Help and Support Calibration of Dell U2412M

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author

Gil
    Participant

Again: you are verifying how it behaves in Photoshop. If that is what you want to test, then this is the way.

For games or general desktop non color managed apps you cant try HCFR or just see resulting profile TRC, check grey range a*b* (no simulation) and how far are red & green primaries from sRGB ones.

Do you mean that the report I’m generating is only for colour aware applications? And is the report provided any good? I have an error there.

I didn’t know that Windows 10 desktop is not colour managed. Ok, so I use Irfnaview app which is colour managed, I use Lightroom and photoshop.

But for games and other apps as you mentioned I need HCFR. Wouldn’t HCFR contradict DispcalGUI calibration? This is very confusing statement.

MW
    Participant

Do you mean that the report I’m generating is only for colour aware applications?

Correct. Report looks fine for a IPS, near black cant be perfect due to display tech limitations. You should use White LED correction as a minimum though, like Vincent said. Check the factory service menu for your revision, if it matches mine I can show you the matching user correction. Hold the top two buttons down while powering the monitor on. Once it is on, press the top button to bring up the menu, write down the top row. Using HCFR and DisplayCal on the same monitor can work if you know what you are doing, I don’t think Vincent was suggesting you do anything stupid, he’s one of the most knowledgeable users on this forum.

Gil
    Participant

Do you mean that the report I’m generating is only for colour aware applications?

Correct. Report looks fine for a IPS, near black cant be perfect due to display tech limitations. You should use White LED correction as a minimum though, like Vincent said. Check the factory service menu for your revision, if it matches mine I can show you the matching user correction. Hold the top two buttons down while powering the monitor on. Once it is on, press the top button to bring up the menu, write down the top row. Using HCFR and DisplayCal on the same monitor can work if you know what you are doing, I don’t think Vincent was suggesting you do anything stupid, he’s one of the most knowledgeable users on this forum.

“You should use White LED correction as a minimum though, like Vincent said”

I still don’t understand how to do that in the app. There are so many profiles to download, I don’t know which is the right one. Going to this link: https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/?get&type=ccss&manufacturer_id=DEL&display=DELL%20U2412M&instrument=i1%20DisplayPro%2C%20ColorMunki%20Display%2C%20Spyder4&html=1

I think only the bottom one is a better choice since it’s the only with i1 Display Pro (not pro 2 or other names). Should I use that?

Left monitor: 3ppy m3b102

centre: 7mvc5 m3b101

Right: 7mvc5 m3b101

“Using HCFR and DisplayCal on the same monitor can work if you know what you are doing”

I have the L plate. I’m a learner, so obviously I seek guidance to learn what to do and why doing so. I have HCFR, I don’t know how to do it and I don’t know how it can co-exist with DispcalGUI.

Not trying to judge, you all have your lives and limited time to reply on forums, but some of the answers assume previous knowledge. So in order not to waste anyone’s time and annoy people, how can a beginner learn these things if not asking in a forum dedicated to help and support? I’m seeking answers which don’t assume previous knowledge, at least not vast previous knowledge. I’m happy to read and learn from any source possible, but I can’t find the “Why” of some of these assumed steps in PC monitor calibrating, or the “How”. Don’t get me wrong, I’m so very grateful for the help you and Vincent are providing and I believe your instructions, I just want to understand a bit more, but don’t know how to get there. I don’t know what is the “correct” correction profile for my i1Dpro Rev A-02 and for my screens. I don’t know how to use HCFR in conjunction with DisplayCal without making mistakes. If there’s an article, can you please direct me there?

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

MW
    Participant

That’s why its better to keep asking question if you are unclear about anything, and reporting back after receiving instructions. How else can volunteers on the forum help with resolving questions and issues? Did you find this option in correction dropdown?

Gil
    Participant

I agree with you, but I felt from the responses I got AS IF I’m supposed to have previous knowledge and I didn’t want to annoy anyone with my questions. Thanks for helping thus far!

Ok, so yes I do see it but it didn’t make sense to select it because it confused me. It doesn’t mention Dell and I didn’t know if this option encapsulates my screen. I’ll select it and re-run calibration.

I assume that the numbers I provided are of no use.

Thanks.

MW
    Participant

I assume that the numbers I provided are of no use.

They’re a different revision than mine, I’d advise using the generic White LED correction like Vincent said.

I agree with you, but I felt from the responses I got AS IF I’m supposed to have previous knowledge and I didn’t want to annoy anyone with my questions. Thanks for helping thus far!

If that bothers you it will be hard to help.

I’ll select it and re-run calibration.

Sounds like a good course of action.

Gil
    Participant

OK.

Calibration done.

Not sure how good the results are for this monitor.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

HCFR as DisplayCAL can be used for calibrating and validating. HCFR is meant for OSD tweaks, usually for TVs. DisplayCAL is meant to be used for grey calibration & making profiles.

DisplayCAL is oriented to calibrate grey and make a display profile after that calibration, hence oriented to color managed apps. It can do more things but that is the main target.
    Thus validation is oriented to:
    -test “OSD tweaks & HW cal”/”factory calibration”/”Lut3d calibration fro madVR/Resolve” (simulation profile + use simulation profiel as display profile)
    -test how good is profile matching display fro general use in color managed apps (none of teh above)
    -test how good is profile matching display showing images from a particular colorspace like sRGB, (simulation profile)

There is a validation missing: “how good is my display with grey calibration applied trying to match sRGB in non color managed apps”. HCFR can be used there, just remember to uncheck “disabe GPU LUTs” (or something like that) and choose “validation target”.

Your report shows that XYZLUT profile does not match display in some parts, maybe you have something in OSD or in computer. IDNK the reason.
    Try simpler ones single curve + matrix + BPC

Regarding corrections choose one of the 3nm CCSS or the 1nm generic one. AFAIK U2412M has no gamut limitation to sRGB, hence the chances of uploader to measure it in a wrong are very small. 3nm can be more accurate on white, so if you see slight tint in 255 white to green or pink choose custom 3nm

Gil
    Participant

Thanks, Vincent.

I’ll try to follow your suggestion about HCFR.

In the meantime, I ran another calibration and measurement report and this time it seems better.

The step I’ve done is:

1. Set whitepoint target calibrate to 6500K, Gamma 2.2
    2. Once target achieved, cancel calibration
    3. Change Whitepoint “as measured”
    4. Restart calibration and validate values are as in step 2 and proceed to profiling.

attached report.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Grey range is OK, all seems OK (= grey is neutral and profile matches display behavior, whatever it is)
    If you have no banding in grey gradients on non color managed apps but huge color cast in the same gradient color managed consider single curve + matrix + BPC (if that simplified profile is a good match to display)

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Vincent.

Gil
    Participant

by the way, where do you see the 1nm generic one? I can’t figure out where to download it from or where it is in the app.

Will it matter having a 3nm or 1nm over the generic white LED?

Lastly, what exactly does this correction do? Is it for correction for the screen or the colorimeter? or the combination of both? this part doesn’t make sense to me and why it is needed really.

Gil
    Participant

If you have no banding in grey gradients on non color managed apps but huge color cast in the same gradient color

Is there a test image you recommend using to validate banding or colour cast? do you validate colour cast by eye or measure it?

Vincent
    Participant

generic:
    https://displaycal.net/i1d3

They are for colorimeter, ArgyllCMS dumps colorimeter firmware spectral sensivity curves (RGB filters) and computes a RGB filter to XYZ coords 3×3 matrix based on this data. => (RGB2XYZ x RGB data from USB = Corrected XYZ)
    No correction = using a CCSS of RGB filters of colorimeter to compute a 3×3 RGB to XYZ (assume that display is like colorimeter filters). CCMX appiles an additional 3×3 XZY to XYZ on top of that (2 matrices multiplication on raw RGB filter data => CCMX x RGB2XYZ “raw” x RGB data from USB = Corrected XYZ)

Colorimeter is not an exact match of CIE 1931 2 degree observer (a model of human vision), hence measurements need to be corrected. CCSS corrections are a very clever & awesome way to correct colorimeters in a distributed way (=YOU do not have to own expensive equipment like an spectrophotometer, just download a display backlight spectralpower distribution close to your display, it stores no colorimeter data, only display data). That display data with colorimeter spectral sensivity curves stored in firmware (and supposed to be accurate for i1d3) are used to compute the RGB to XYZ matrices above.

If properly made (and WLED sRGB displays like yours are candidates to do it properly) 3nm should be more accurate since it was made for your specific backlight.
    With Widegamuts it may be more difficult because a ) user that made & upload correction may have done it in the wrong way (non native gamut), b ) his device may not be so accurate for taht backlight (like i1Pro2/munkiphoto/i1studio measuring WLED PFS even at 3nm, or simple less spiky backlights at 10nm)

Open in MS Paint, open in PS (assign sRGB colorspace if missing, IDNK your PS configuration, same for GIMP, neutral vertical bar banding is expected, color banding only if you use 3xTRC profiles)

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/img/gradient-h.png

Gil
    Participant

Thanks!

It doesn’t make sense. If a colorimeter is not accurate and/or degrade over time, what does the profile has to do with the screen I’m calibrating? I read what you wrote several times but it doesn’t sink in 🙂 you don’t have to try to explain again, I’ll look it up further with the power of the internet. For me, if the screen is the target and the colorimeter is the gun, I need to offset the gun to hit exactly in the center of the target, not to offset the target to hit the target. From the explanation above, it sounds like the correction profile of the backlight of the monitor is like adjusting the target to the colorimeter which feels counterintuitive to what I would expect.

There’s a Dell_U2413_25Jul12.ccss file. Mine is U2412M, will that still be good? how do you see if it’s 3nm or 10nm?

Vincent
    Participant

If filters degrade CCSS approach is no longer valid, a CCMX will be needed.
    I1d3 are supposed to do not degrade, hence firmware data is valid is device is kept undamaged and CCSS is a valid approach in device expected lifetime

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS