Calibration of Dell U2412M

Home Forums Help and Support Calibration of Dell U2412M

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • Author

Gil
    Participant

What’s the more acceptable colour space to target for this display in 3DLUT and the same for tone curve?

Would rec.1886 tone curve be suitable for a FHD display?

Or would an sRGB tone curve is more appropriate?

How does one decide?

S Simeonov
    Participant

What’s the more acceptable colour space to target for this display in 3DLUT and the same for tone curve?

Would rec.1886 tone curve be suitable for a FHD display?

Or would an sRGB tone curve is more appropriate?

How does one decide?

Just use the standart settings – D65, 2.2 relative gamma 100% boo, 80-120 nits. Avoid bt 1886 or sRGB tone curve, unless you have a huge contrast ratio.  As for 3DLUT, usually 2.4 relative gamma is OK.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by S Simeonov.

Gil
    Participant

?

Just use the standart settings – D65, 2.2 relative gamma 100% boo, 80-120 nits. Avoid bt 1886 or sRGB tone curve, unless you have a huge contrast ratio.  As for 3DLUT, usually 2.4 relative gamma is OK.

Thanks for the reply. But why? Why these settings? Why no sRGB tone curve?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Gil.

S Simeonov
    Participant

?

Thanks for the reply. But why? Why these settings? Why no sRGB tone curve?

bt 1886 or sRGB tone curve, unless you have a huge contrast ratio.

MW
    Participant

I doesn’t matter for color managed apps, they will translate the TRC. However anything other than gamma 2.2 have a higher risk of introducing banding. I own the same monitor and tried them all, stick to gamma 2.2.

Gil
    Participant

ok, thanks.

May I ask if the below results are ok? I don’t really know how to interpret them.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Don’t use CCMX correction unless you made them. They are not portable between i1d3. You may end with a white that does not look white because measured coordinates may not be actual ones.
    Use CCSS, generic White LED 1nm from Xrite (bundled with DisplayCAL) or user made 3nm CCSS from colorimeter correction database.

Anyway, your resulting grey color looks ok, but I’m not sure why you want a LUT3D for SRGB.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Gil
    Participant

Anyway, your resulting grey color looks ok, but I’m not sure why you want a LUT3D for SRGB.

Don’t I need one? I don’t know… I’m lost… should my screen have a 3DLUT?

what is CCMX correction? you refer to the correction profile from the database?

I didn’t find a CCSS, I don’t know where it is in the list.

Vincent
    Participant

Don’t I need one? I don’t know… I’m lost… should my screen have a 3DLUT?

It’s useless unless the applications can use it. Most of them can’t, the ones that can use it expect Rec709 g2.4 content, not sRGB TRC.

what is CCMX correction? you refer to the correction profile from the database?

Yes. a matrix correction. They are not portable between colorimeters. Do not use them unless you made it for your colorimeter

I didn’t find a CCSS, I don’t know where it is in the list.

Default corrections imported by DisplayCAL (Xrite data and some user made) or https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/

Gil
    Participant

I went into tools > correction > Import correction > Auto

I hope that’s ok as well.

I did another round of calibration but this is worse than before. Check the gamut coverage. That doesn’t seem right.

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

It is not caused by correction. Also it’s unkown which correction did you apply.

When requesting help provide full data.

Gil
    Participant

It is not caused by correction. Also it’s unkown which correction did you apply.

When requesting help provide full data.

Sorry, I don’t know what data to provide. I’m learning this.

Vincent
    Participant

-colorimeter correction / spectro mode
    -profile type
    -profile itselft
    -full validation optons (not needed if you provide HTML report since most important are stored there)

Anyway, as a quick cheatsheet:
    U2412M=> White LED IPS generic from Xrite bundled with DisplayCAL or custom CCSS from an user.
    Use single curve+matrix+BPC profile or XYZLUT if you want a detailed one at the risk that some software may not behave as you want.
    Validate with no simulation, if OK it should behave OK in color managed apps. For no color managed apps it may be easier to test after calibration with HCFR.

Gil
    Participant

-colorimeter correction / spectro mode
    -profile type
    -profile itselft
    -full validation optons (not needed if you provide HTML report since most important are stored there)

Anyway, as a quick cheatsheet:
    U2412M=> White LED IPS generic from Xrite bundled with DisplayCAL or custom CCSS from an user.
    Use single curve+matrix+BPC profile or XYZLUT if you want a detailed one at the risk that some software may not behave as you want.
    Validate with no simulation, if OK it should behave OK in color managed apps. For no color managed apps it may be easier to test after calibration with HCFR.

ok. thank you. I attached the report.

I’ve done XYZLUT+matrix

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

Again: you are verifying how it behaves in Photoshop. If that is what you want to test, then this is the way.

For games or general desktop non color managed apps you cant try HCFR or just see resulting profile TRC, check grey range a*b* (no simulation) and how far are red & green primaries from sRGB ones.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Vincent.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS